Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

A close shave...

Tags
close shave
2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ben hall 
#1 ·
Let me tell you a story....

I am now (finally after much negotiation) am the proud owner of a Saab 9000 CSE 2.3t, its a former company car which I have purchassed.

Was out doing messages in the outskirts of Belfast today when I was sitting waiting for the other half to come back, sittin in the car. Got a tap on the window... "excuse me sir, do u realise that all your tyres are below legal limits". Now I knew they where bad when I got it and in my defence I just technically own the car, I was going to change them anyway but didnt hyave the cash at the mo.

"Oh sorry officer, I didnt notice.... errrrrr".

Now I am 23 years old, insurance is an absolute [expletive deleted]. But getting 6 points more on my license would screw me royally. For those non-uk residents out there, the more points on your license in the UK, the higher your insurance.

"Would you mind stepping out of the vehicle.... you do know what the penalty for defective tyres, that front passenger is clearly dangerous"

My reaction as I climbed out of the car was shere fear. Visions of me having to sell up and by a Fiat Panda where running through my head. Then in the corner of my eye was my salvation. A branch of Kwik-Fit tyre fitters was about 50 yards down the road.

"Yes officer, I am about to get all four changed as I have just purchassed the car..."

Get a weird look from the policeman, and after about 5 minutes of himming and haaing, "Ok sir on you go, make sure you get all four changed".

So I am now £160 the lighter but at least I am still on the road.

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice story! I can imagine some coppers would throw the book at you, particularly if you were driving like the lad across the road from me in his Fiesta with big alloys and a huge exhaust. But, the difference in treatment from case to case can be difficult to figure out. Some time back I was relieved of 40 quid and awarded (I thought prizes got awarded?) 3 points for doing 96mph. Today I heard of a friend of a friend who got a 400 quid fine and 6 points for doing 97mph. When I was stopped it was a clear dry day and I was on an empty dual carriageway, I don't know the circumstances of my mates friend, but it does seem a little inconsistent.
Anyway, good luck to you!

#5 ·
Lucky enough Dave_NI. Was it a traffic cop or an ordinary plod? sill question I suppose cos you have already said you got away with it.

Just for info, You dont need Z rated tyres on your motor if the manufacturer fitted them with VR's. (UK position) So long as you fit the speed rating no less than that which the manufacturer fits then you'll be OK. Unless of course your driving exceeds said speed rating. IIRC correctly, VR is good for a sustained 130mph and ZR for up to a sustained 150mph.

At least yu did get away with it. I got a ticket in the ROI two days ago. 81 in a 60 which I thought was a 70mph. no amount of squirming and negotiation worked so I am now 80 Euros lighter But wait for this. I read the ticket out of curiosity. Here's a chilling quote from said ticket.
<quote>If an ofence in para.... is a second or subsequent such offence, you are liable to a fine exceeding 1500 euros and if a third or subsequent offence in a 12 month period: imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or both.</quote>

And I thought it was bad in NI and the UK generally.

Nwo where's that Panda Dave?

#8 ·
TBH I had to go for the cheapest tyres, he said they are ok for up to 130MPH, this was due to money, and he wouldnt let me go home unless I changed all four.

Hmmmm so I need better tyres eh... I am hoping to put new wheels on it eventually (if I stiffen the suspension can I go to 17"???) so that would mean new tyres again.

It was not a traffic cop but he had gone through the standard police training course "sarcasim 101".

I'm a student who is shelling out alot on insurance for his pride and joy. When I start working in July the upgrades will start.

#9 ·
Originally posted by BenH:
[qb]I can imagine some coppers would throw the book at you, particularly if you were driving like the lad across the road from me in his Fiesta with big alloys and a huge exhaust. [/qb][/b]
I have wanted a Saab 9000 since I was about 17 (when my car was built). We have a name for lads like you mentionned with their big bore exausts and alloys, we call them "Spides", but I have called them alot of other things that cant be mentionned on this site. They sit in car parks at the weekends playing scooter out of their Sony explode speakers. Trust me, I hate em as much as you do. I treat my car with respect (at almost 200 BHP u have to), so trust me, I am not a boy racer.

But I have once hammered a supped-up Corsa on a mile straight. Couldn't help myself, he had a "No Fear" sticker. Or thats what I think it said, hard to read through my rear view mirror.

#10 ·
yeah, reading all those "raef on" stickers backwards isn't easy! To be honest with you there's nothing more amusing than getting a "spide" (presumably said in thick NI accent? and what is a spide anyway?? I think we should be told...) stuck behind me on a single carriageway road. I know he's going to try and get past so I stay in 3rd at about 45-50mph (that in itself gets Mr Spide hot under the collar) and as soon as he pulls out to overtake just squeeze that gas ('94 9000 Aero) enough so he can't get past. I don't blast away from him, just keep speeding up with him alongside until he's forced to hit the brakes and pull in behind me. Oh how we laugh....
On a good day I might be able to toy with the same car several times.
Your desire to own a Saab since you were 17 is admirable. Stick with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.