Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the A/C problem continues... I found that the pump was cutting in and out (as you would normally expecyt) and that given time it actually started to pump cooler (but not much cooler) air through the vents.

Then yesterday sitting at some lights smoke started drifting out from under the bonnet, Kathy turned off the A/C and we pulled off the road.

Opening the bonnet the smoke was coming from the A/C compressor pully - the funny rubber washers that like the front half of the pulley (the one that the serpentine belt runs round) and the back bit were happily smoking away (one had completely vanished)

So the Big questions are:

1) Is the var still safe to drive if we keep the A/C off (ie run on ECON). I am worried about that front pulley on the pump.

2) Is this going to be a major repair

3) If it is safe but the answer to 2 is Yes then will pulling the 30Amp fuse allow us to run the A/C system but without the A/C pump kicking in and out?

Steve

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Using the economy setting will prevent the a/c kicking in,however it will not prevent the suspect pulley from turning,same goes for pulling the fuse,from your description it sounds like the compressor has siezed,I have no idea of price.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
As Mike H says it sounds like the compresor has seized. However it has a magnetic clutch between it and the pulley. If you disconnect the wire at the compressor the magnetic clutch will never engage and you can safely run the car. This is the same as runing the ACC in ECON but there would be no chance of the compressor being inadvertantly switched on.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
this happened to me...
In my case it was the magnetic windings in the clutch decided to melt themselves together
At the same time the pulley bearing decided enough was enough and it siezed..Probably one caused the other
however the clutch/bearing assembly is about £150 as I remember it, is quite easy to fit...
If it is the compressor ...ouch..its £700 plus
(depends on make )
looking down on the compressor there is a wire with a connector coming out the clutch..disconnect this and there will be no feed to the clutch and it can be safely driven (unless the bearing is fried but the engine won't turn over..)

good luck...

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As the AC still seemed to be running when it was smoking I am hoping its just the clutch... am getting a local garage (who are supposed to be hot on A/C) to cost up how much things may cost. They did tell me that it is safe to drive with the system in ECON or with the fuse out or the clutch power line disconnected...

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The garage say the compressor is seized and will have to get one ordered for me. Am tempted to get a second opinion on the cost .. will probably try the place over in Wiltshire which has been mentioned on here.

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after the suppliers shipped the wrong pump - the garage could not connect the pipes at the back they phone this afternoon to tell me that it is all done. Total cost, including pump, new coolant , labour and VAT was £470. More than I would have liked to have spent but much less than it could have been.

I'm taking it into work tomorrow so will have to run it up and see how it behaves.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.