Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had my head gasket replaced, and the fitter remover the air conditioner compressor as part of the job, he has replaced it, but not attatched the belt, as he was not sure if running it without refridgerant would damage it or not, i want to put the belt on and go and get it refilled, but before i do, i hope i can get some feedback from this BB

all the best

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The compressor wont run without refrigerant in it. You can re-attach the belt if you like but the AC had a pressure switch and if the refrigerant pressure drops below a certain amount then the electric clutch won't engae preventing the compressor from turning.
Incidentally, it is not necessary to remove the compressor to do a head gasket. Just unbolt the compressor, undo the pipe securing brackets and lay the complete assembly to the side out of the way. I've done it twice :-(

·
Registered
169 Posts
But to answer part of your query, running the compressor without refrigerant will damage the unit, as the refrigerant contains a light oil as a lubricant. Hence the clutch not engaging, if the refrigerant level is too low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.