Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a 1997 9000 aero running standard at the minute and I am thinking of chipping the ecu. I have contacted abbot and maptun and for the 40bhp increase they are both the same price give or take a bit but what difference 0-60 will these make and has anyone got any experience or advice that would help me choose which chip to have fitted

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi aerochris and welcome to Saabscene

It's an interesting choice to make. For a long time, Abbott were just about the only sensibly priced Saab tuning option in the UK. They perhaps offer the best all round tuning package (suspension etc as well) but their knowledge naturally commands a premium. In the last few years, other tuners have emerged, who offer a different approach.

If you're happy with the fit it yourself option, then perhaps Maptun is the way to go. They have certainly proved reliable for many folk. You will need to send your ECU away to be reprogrammed, which will take a few days. There are a number of appointed agents around the UK that can also help with fitting- see the web site for info.

Abbott's approach is a bit different- they generally prefer you to bring the car to them and they can do the job in a few hours, although they will supply mail order. If you do visit them, their fitters are very knowledgable and you may find yourself walking away having decided to buy several other worthwhile upgrades.

Either way you won't make a bad choice.

HTH

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
with abbott that as far as you can go..
they do not cater for anything further
Maptun (and speedparts for that matter ) will take you further and with Maptun, as you go up the tuning ladder, you only pay an upgrade charge afik

my choice would (and is ) Maptun

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm on speedparts stage 1 on my Aero (+40bhp) and it was £320 odd which is great value and I'm very happy with the improvement. It's only another £80 to go to stage 3 ECU... but you'll need to get the likes of a JT3" exhaust to allow it (as with Maptun).

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by aerochris:
[qb]but what difference 0-60 will these make and has anyone got any experience or advice that would help me choose which chip to have fitted [/qb][/b]
Forget the 0-60 stuff, only marginal increases in this speed range will be noticable because of the extra traction problems associated with the extra

BUT

the 0-100, and the important in gear acceleration will be noticably reduced and that's where the fun starts.....

And IMHO go the Maptun route for the ECU....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts