Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got raced versus nissan 300zx? I'm meaby planning to chance 9000 turbo(-86) for 300zx (-88).. Is it just a stupid way to spend money or good invest?

---
All I need ís traction and turbo, of course

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You might find this interesting :

http://www.z31.com/

IIRC up until 91 the 300zx was available as a non turbo 3.0V6 and with a turbo (Garrett T03). The turbo version had 200HP as standard. It's also rear wheel drive.

In 1991, the twin turbo 300HP version was launched, which by all accounts seems like a fine car.

Two points for the Finnish weather tho.. do you really want rear wheel drive ? and won't an 80s Japanease car rust faster than an overly engineered swedish car?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Back in 1979, the 280 ZX was outclassed by the early B-engined 900 turbo in every single performance aspect, including handling, in a What Car? magazine comparo. The pre-'91 300 ZX is much the ame, but bigger and softer. It's too compromised to be a comfy cruiser, and too big and heavy (and not fast enough!) to qualify as a point-and-squirt sports car.

If you want cheapish RWD thrills, you'd be better off with a '89-'94 (S13) 200 SX.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is interesting! I traded my '85 300zx on the "Griffin" and never looked back! Sure the 300 is reasonably fast but mine was a money pit from the day I bought it. It just seemed like it was about 95% there and I could never get that extra 5% without breaking the bank. I live in Minnesota and the winter weather is not very conducive to rear wheel drive vehicles at all and especially not sports cars with a decent weight balance. It is too heavy for a real sports car and more of a luxury "sporty car". The "Griffin" will beat it in every catagory I can think of!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.