Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still playing around with getting a high flow intercooler and I'm wondering if anyone has the dimensions of the std Saab item?/ max sizes the car will take?

The high flow speedparts unit states dimensions:
500x380x50mm - and I'm assuming the difference between that and standard is the 50mm thickness versus standard 35mm??
Is the 500x380 the size of the core only?

If anyone happens to have done this for any type of 9k intercooler, can you post:
1) Core width, depth, height
2) total width at the bottom and top of the IC

Cheers!

·
Registered
778 Posts
The difference between IC's is in the width - 50 mm vs. 30 mm. I think the Speedparts' is the Kylar Jonsson. MapTun use a slightly different one, but is essentially the same dimension. Kylar Jonsson also made a 60 mm width, but that entails removing the AC condenser. The 500 and 380 dimensions measure the core, only, not the end tanks. The end tanks on both the KJ and MapTun's are larger in dimension and will bulge the bottom sides of the radiator support, slightly. They are both very well fabricated (I'd give a slight edge to the MapTun in detail finishing) and you will see a slight increase in boost pressures because of better flow through the core. The first picture is the KJ, the other is MapTun (not sure who makes it for them).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. Robert - I was looking at a very nice IC from another car that wasnt that far off the dimensions required: (well, closest I have found)

Core thickness: 45mm (5mm thinner)
Core width: 600mm (100mm too big)
Core height: 410mm (30mm too big)
Max unit width (bottom): 740mm approx

To be honest, if the performacne I/C manufactuers could have made the unit wider or taller I am sure them would have done, so my bet is that my potential find wont fit without serious pain!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts