Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
faster than the rest of the tread, appears almost as if someone has run a skimmer on the edge which has taken the tread off! Any ideas?
Used to happen on my ole 900T as well

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Could be wheel alignment, a loose hub nut (allowing play in the bearing) or you're simply going fast around roundabouts (my own pet problem on the Aero).

I'd check the hub nut first (about 300Nm torque so you'll need a big torque wrench), then wheel alignment. I use the dealer for wheel alignment, so I could ask them to check the hub tightness first.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, BillJ....will check hub-nut and try to ease off at round-abouts , on the wheel alignment issue, is it true that the dealers rely on mobile tyre fitters, etc. for this aspect of the work?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by mutungi:
[qb]Except...being a grid-plan designed city, would there be any round-abouts in MK?    :[/qb][/b]
Well, if it had stuck to the original grid principles, no there wouldn't be. Obvioulsy the MK planners thought different and decided we Brits were far to polite to need to be controlled by traffic lights so put roundabouts in at most junctions instead...

It is actally a fact that folk in MK have to replace their front tyres more often than anywhere else in the country due to all the extra wear from the roundabouts...

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Sound like a positive camber problem to me! so best take it to a proper 4 wheel alignment equiped garage.
I would blame the problem on either the strut or Knuckle/Swivel being damaged or faulty as strut top/bottom ball joint or bearing problems cause a negative camber due to the weight of the car pressing the wheel in at the top wearing the inside edge not the outside.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by saabz2000:
[qb]try pumping your front tyres up to about 40 psi, and taking each roundabout in the opposite direction to the last one!  . . . . even up the wear a little  
 [/qb][/b]
Aha! so on my next track day, I need to go in the opposite direction to everyone else, due to the paucity of anti-clockwise circuits in the UK. That's the problem with directional tyres...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Obvioulsy the MK planners thought different and decided we Brits were far to polite to need to be controlled by traffic lights so put roundabouts in at most junctions instead...[/qb][/b]
I thought it was because the day they finalised the plan, it completely covered the only table in the room so they had nowhere else to put mugs of tea...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by saabz2000:
[qb]why don't we all drive goodwood the wrong way next time ???? could be interesting ???? [/qb][/b]
Nowhere near as interesting as if some of us drove the wrong wan and others drove the right way

Oh, and I've ended up facing people pointing the wrong way
Bl00dy rear-wheel-drive cars

1 - 15 of 15 Posts