Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had fitted poly rear arb bushes,g max 40mm lowering springs and poly engine torque bar mounts the difference is excellent,im well chuffed.
problem:: the car sits a lot lower at the rear than it does at the front. any one have an idea why??? all parts were supplied by elkparts but with the springs came a note to say ' please cut off 20mm of the bumpstops'.i was told by the garage they didn't fancy doing that until more info was sought but if it needs doing bring it back and they'll do it straight away.
can you buy uprated bumpstops with the 20mm difference rather than take a hacksaw to them!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have a look at the line of the sill and it should still be parallel to the ground. The rear wheels appear to go higher into the wheel arches than the fronts do, but the car is still level.
Mine does the same, I queried it when mine were done over a year ago, basically....."they all do that mate"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i will check that tomorrow andy,thanks. i must admit i don't like the way it sits though i expected the front wheels to fill the arch as well. to me it looks like it hasn't dropped on the front guess i'll have to wait and see although the overall change in the cars drivability is spot on.
do you know why the bumpstops have to be reduced then,andy?????

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
AeroJod,

This is mine on the Gmax springs after about 1500miles:

The rear did lower more than the front, but I'm half expecting the front to creep down some more over thge next few months.

Do a search back on here over may june time and you will see my contenplations and drop measurements.

Andrew
PS. I'm well please with Gmax ones now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I had exactly the same problem when I fitted lowering springs all round, the front of the car sat at least 40mm higher than the rear, looking pretty naff into the bargain.

The manufacturer of the springs stated I should wait at least 1500-2000miles, which I duly did, no change at all.

Whilst the car looked asthetically pretty rubbish it handled far better than previously, so all I was looking for was a level looking car, a new set of front springs was made for me FOC, 20mm lower.

Best to contact the supplier and raise the issue with them.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Isn't the front sitting highter a bit weird, given how much heavier the front is?

I'm wanting to put on the Gmax springs myself, so I'm glad to see that peeps who've fitted them like the handling, although a bit concerned about rear down look. What shocks did you all fit with them?

Kev

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Same problem with me and my Abbott springs - the rear settled within a few miles but the car still has slight nose up attitude. Initially the front was way higher but give it a few k miles to settle first.
Looking at the car after about 4k miles on the new springs, the front still looks a little high but the base sill is virtually parallel with the ground so maybe it's meant to be. I'm currently 50/50 on getting something done to lower the front a bit more.
I also set the koni's on the front to zero for a while so the springs got a harder time = speed up bedding in.
As for the bump stops, I cut a lump off them but I dont believe the Abbott springs lower the car enough to warrant that. The bump stops are not high tech, so I wouldnt worry much about playing with them - you can also get firmer ones from Superflex etc should you be intending on using them a lot

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guys,thanks for your input. i phoned elkparts today and they told me that as long as the side skirt/sill are parralel on level ground its as it should be,pity..i told them i was more than happy with the results just let down by the appearence so he said to keep them on a while and if not happy give him a ring and he'll see what he can do
top man,could have told me to like it or lump it couldn't he.
also said it could rear shocks but doubted that.
i suggested putting the standard springs back on the back leaving lower on the front,does this work?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kevster,my shocks are standard . the body roll is greatly reduced and the ride is near enough un-changed also poly rear arb fitted aswell
although,the poly torque bar mounts are a bit hard! nearly lost me teeth when i first started it up!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'm running koni's front and rear, both (all 4) set to 1 turn from soft.

I did try another set of 40mm lower spings 1st and they really were down at the rear (60+mm!!) while the front was barely lowered. The Gmax in my opionion are far better than those were.

Andrew

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is regarded that any more than 30mm claimed (22-25mm in reality) is the most you would want to lower the 9000 by. Having said that, most of you obviously have with varied results so I will not press on with that.

However, aerojod especially, you must get your car retracked now, definately so if you've dropped it by 40mm. Gmax sitting low on the back high on the front is common as is the same for AVO.

Front rear wishbone bushes in poly sharpen the steering no end, just a hint!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its already booked in for 4 wheel geometry allignment as soon as my refurbished super aero come back,in anthracite! then its new rubber all round bf goodrich g force profiler and off we go

P.S any thoughts on putting the standard aero springs on the back leaving the front lowered??????

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've just been out and measured mine again today.

with 225/50*16 tyres on, the floor to top of arch measurements are:-

front 62.5 cm
rear 61.0 cm

floor to top of skirt under doors:-

front 27.0cm
mid 27.0cm
rear 27.0cm

Andrew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.