Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a very nice 97 LPT 9000 with 78,000 miles. I already have a 91 9000i which had its clutch replaced a few years ago with (I think) a Unipart item. The clutch action is very nice and not heavy. The LPT I'm looking at has a much heavier clutch and may not be suitable for my wife. But the car's an absolute minter and tight as a drum. Have you any views?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm not sure what this tells you, but I bought a 97 CSE with 86,000 miles which had a heavy clutch. Turned out the clutch plate was on its last legs (London car). A new clutch assembly and slave cylinder cured the problem. I'm not sure if/how the heaviness related to clutch wear though.

Anyway - perhaps you can take that as a "worst case scenario".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. Thanks JohnCC. I've agreed to buy anyhow. It's just beautiful. I'm regretfully going to sell my 9-3. It's hard to know exactly what makes it lighter when replacement parts are put in. My previous clutch replacement didn't include master or slave replacement but new clutch was much lighter. You'd think it should be more to do with the hydraulics.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Previously have replaced the clutches on a 1988 900 and a 1993 9000. The 9000 included a new slave cylinder. Both went light when replaced but after a few months went heavy again. Do not know why though. First may have been a Unipart but second was a Luk one. Before replacement I thought maybe the clutch cover metal prongs had hardened with use but could have been some other cause. A small amount of molybdenum grease was put on the clutch plate hub splines in both cases. A heavy clutch is not too much of a problem until you are in a queue and then continuous clutch use can give leg ache.

·
Registered
257 Posts
could be the flexi-hose breaking up and blocking itself. mine got progressively heavier and then parted company at the swaged connection - was in Holland at the time. Local SAAB dealer modified a Left Hand Drive part to fit - still working 2 years and 40K later

Alyn

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I did buy it and I've been driving it for three weeks. It still annoys me - it just makes the car feel heavy and unwieldy. The seller did tell me that the flexible pipe had been changed, so maybe there id debris in the line. If so, what are the options? I don't think I'm going to like them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.