Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade the radio casette in the car and have 3 choices:

in order of preference :

1. custom build a PC for MP3 playback and route through existing head unit using the wiring for the CD changer.

2. change existing head unit for a mp3/CD player

3. fit a cd changer in the boot.

The PC bit of 1 is ok, it's getting it to work with the head unit. Anyone tried it or got any idea which wires do what in the CD changer connection ?

Secondly, if I just change the head unit, I presume I need to bypass the amp under front passenger seat ?

That haynes manual is sadly lacking any info about the Audio system.

cheers

Gary

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
No amp under the front seat in mine . Normal DIN blocks so any unit can be put in.

CD autochanger fits nicely hanging from the lifting floor panel in the spzre wheel well. As most Head Unit/CD changers come with their own cable I didn't attempt to use the Saab wiring for it, and just ran the new cable down along the Drivers side under the facia plates (did this to avoid going behind the Airbag!).

Haynes can be a bit valuge on wiring for things like the audio as Saab seemed to change it a lot from year to year.

However if you look into the dash you will find the normal saab head unit has 1 normal din block and one elongated one... follow that back and you will find a connector with a normal sized DIN block on it and some extra cables going off into the loom. This is the second DIN block for a third party head unit. The extra cables going into the loom are the CD changer cables.

Sorry I can't help with the exact colours.

Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.