Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body out there have any experince with upgrading a 97` 9000 2,0 LPT? As I am planning to upgarde for a stage 1 from either Maptun, BSR or Speedparts!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
IIRC a '97 model should already have an intercooler fitted? In which case an ECU upgrade should be fairly straightforward.

James

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I should also mention both Maptun and Speedparts' LPT upgrades come with the APC solenoid where applicable. Not sure about Abbott.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If the original question was regarding "...any one have or know of experince with upgrading a 97` 9000 2.0 lpt?" then I do not, as I have only recently (6months) purchased mt first ever SAAB, a '94 9000 CSE lpt.

I would like to know if anyone has experince with upgrading a 94` 9000 CSE 2.0 lpt?. It's clocked 104K

So far, unfortunately, I have had to replace the power sterling pump, the head gasket (and deal with the resultant messy engine and coolant system) and the mid exhaust section.
So whilst the money is pooring out I wonder what would be the best 1st step in power increase enhancements for the car.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, Rik2U.

What I can tell you is the difference between the '94 and '97 2.0 LPT. The '94 had a boost control (BPC or APC) valve and no intercooler. The '97 had an intercooler but no boost control valve. An upgraded LPT requires both components, so a '97 will require a BPC valve and a '94 will require an intercooler (and the associated pipework).

Bear this in mind and the rest of the thread should be just as applicable to your '94 as to Søren's '97.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Don't forget that if you don't already have an intercooler, you also need the rubber connecting pipes onto the intercooler and the two aluminium pipes that go to the turbo compressor and the throttle body. An intercooler offered with these would be more desirable, although I imagine they're not too hard to find in scrapyards.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thxs for all the replys.

I was actulally looking for some feedback on how the engine will behave when I add 120 NM and 70 HP! As it is now its a VERY velbalanced engine, but it does lack the topend power that my old 39 FPT had! Will the engine careter resemple that of my 93 FPT or will it be different some how?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Stephen wrote in his article , posted on http://www.performance-saab.com concerning his LPT upgrade experience:

the Speedparts ECU is designed to provide increasing torque through the revs range rather than trying to match the fairly flat, typical SAAB torque curve. The remapped ECU actually provides almost standard levels of torque around the 2,000rpm range but this is followed by a noticeable power surge in the 3-4,000rpm range. The advantage here is that you are not killing your gearbox with hugely increased torque in normal driving conditions but when you want the power, for example, when overtaking, the power is there.  

Fitting was simple and in about an hour the APC solenoid and its hoses were hooked up and the ECUs swapped. I took the car out for an adaptation run or three (basically stressing the engine for more than 5 seconds in the 3-4,000 rpm range) and ‘Presto!’ one transformed motor car. Power is up to the 235bhp mark and torque now stands at 401Nm.  

That said, if driven “normally”, i.e. as if it was still a LPT, there is little change to the car’s characteristics. If anything it’s smoother and quieter at low revs. I was worried it might have turned into some unwieldy monster but it’s just as happy as ever. First and second gear acceleration is stronger than before but it’s when accelerating in third and fourth the difference is really felt. The power is not brutal, just very, very smooth. Owing to the relatively small size of the standard turbo unit, there remains no real turbo lag.      [/b]

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes MarkA, I read the article, but still its a 2,3 LPT! But I suppose it will be the same on a 2,0 LPT.

I guess there is nothing else to do than just try it out!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
ahh.. bugga..

sorry.. didn't catch that you had a 2.0... in which case.. I imagine it's pretty similar in feel to the 9-3 crowd's situation... Although Saabman upgraded his 2.0LPT 9-5 with a chip... made a heck of a difference apparently. 150hp to 2-- something.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, dosnt matter, I am going to do it anyway!
I clearly remember when the accelereation of my 93 FPT saved my life, when some sleepy truck driver with a extra long lorry pushed me into the the opposite lane with 20 cars comming racing right against me!!!!!!!!!! In that case there is only one thing to do! Kick it!! In 3. gear I dont think you will find a car thats faster, unless you are in a Porsche 911!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Although Saabman upgraded his 2.0LPT 9-5 with a chip... made a heck of a difference apparently. 150hp to 2-- something.  [/b]
Yes thanks Mark and Welcome to Saabscene Søren Hviid

As Mark says my 9-5 has gone from 150bhp to 215bhp (Manufacturers figures) and all I can say is go for it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Definately recommend Abbott Racing ECU upgrade for ECO. Did this recently to my 96 year model 2.0 LPT.

Had ECU reprogrammed, dump valve and new air filter - puts out over 200 HP/Nm, light years different form a standard ECO.

Excellent and quick service from Giles and Ed at Abbot and a much more reasonable price than some mods I've seen out there.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
As for the 2.0lpt upgrade, the first 9000 I owned had just such a conversion when I bought it- and it really flew. In part this is due to the comparatively low gearing, which was originally designed for a circa 130hp NA engine...

I'm yet to hear of anyone saying that the conversion hasn't been worthwhile. Many folk also report an improvement in fuel economy if driven "normally"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. It seems "Mark" must be shorthand for "person of taste and distinction" if the number on this site are anything to go by

Economy is a bit better driven sensibly, but in the month since getting the works done it's been about 90%
and 10% well behaved.

Only slight criticism is real power delivery doesn't kick in until 2,500 rpm plus - occasionally felt it would be handy to have it kick in from 1,800 plus or thereabouts. Any suggestions as to how to improve throttle response ?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Any suggestions as to how to improve throttle response ?  

[/b]
Hi Mark! ..

Have you fitted a 3'' turbo downpipe yet? This will help turbo spool up since it helps to remove back pressure by virtue of it's better shape and larger diameter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts