Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had service done at 78k, and just wondered if there is any work I should have done to ensure the car will run great for the coming years.

Does the Saab have a timing chain or belt? And what is the recommended mileage to have replaced?

·
Premium Member
3,778 Posts
Assuming its a 1.9 then a belt, need a belt kit and water pump, pump driven via cambelt and a false economy not to change it at the same time.

http://www.mytimingbelt.com/ this will give intervals, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Maxi
If this is a new 9-5 and judging by the year it is you need to change this belt PRONT Saab recommend 72K mine is at 51K doing it tensionner idler and water pump tomorrow cost £110 for parts how much for a new engine £7000?
Regards
Beetee

·
Registered
284 Posts
Later (post 2007) diesels in the Saabs went to a 15k service interval and 90k or 6 years interval for the change of the cambelt. Prior to that it was 12k intervals with 72k or 6 years.

However, many do recommend not going past the 70k or 5 year marks without changing. Recommendation is to change the belt, tensioner and waterpump all together and to use quality parts, many recommending genuine GM only.

I did mine at 70k whan it was 5 years old for the peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts