Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at rebuilding/repairing the turbo on my albatross of a car. I would like any info about sources for rebuild/repair kits and any technical advice, hints, lessons learned, etc. It is an auto tranny, by the way. It is spitting oil into the exhaust system, hence plumes of funny smelling smoke, especially at rpm wind down and idle. It passed a compression test at the dealership, and all other aspects seem normal...Help!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Look through yellow pages/Auto trader for somewhere that will sell rebuild kits (basically new journal bearings and seals). When you take compressor wheel off make sure you mark its position relative to the shaft so when its replaced the balance of the assembly is not altered - this is the crucial bit. These rotors are spinning at 100,000 + rpm so balancing the assembly is critical. Useful web-site is:

http://www.saab-900.com/techhelp/techhelp_...urborebuild.htm

I was a frame engineer (in-charge off) for the Holset HX40V variable geometry turbo now fitted to IVECO Cursor 8 trucks. I got a rebuilt unit instead of doing it myself (£350) as I didnt have the balancing equipement and the turbine wheel had rubbed the turbine housing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.