Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a standard 93-lpt coupe and I want to start upgrading it (slowly) . My first port of call is going to be the exhaust system. It's blowing in the mid section so I thought I might as well start there. So can any of you recommend a good place to shop? I'm looking for a SS system that ain't going to brake the bank, looks nice and sounds puuuurrrrrfect.

Also does anyone know the difference between the 93-lpt(154) and the 93-Turbo(180) apart from the extra £500 in the autotrader to me it just seems as though it's a different ECU and that's it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to the board Groovy Dad!

I too have an LPT and caught the modding bug immediately I picked it up (17” wheels fitted on the same day!)

The only difference between the 154bhp LPT and the 180 FPT is the ECU and also whats known as a APC Solenoid which controls the boost and raises it above base level on the FPT. The LPT is already wired for such a device and if you decide to go for an ECU upgrade, this will be included. I have had my ECU upgrade for a few months now and the performance gain is phenomenal and good value too.

Hope you found this information helpful and look forward to hearing about your successful upgrades soon.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi,welcome,

Do a site search here for up upgrades - there are a lot of very savy people - if it can be done it's probably recorded on this site somewhere.

My 2.3 9000 started as an lpt - one speedparts stg 1 later and the best part of 30,000 miles ago its still brings a smile when I drive.

Lots of bang for your buck - its probably going to cost about GBP 500 to take you to the BHP equivalent of a T - (you could have bought one for the combined cost) but at least the engine has not been thrashed to within an inch of its life BEFORE you bought it!!

Alyn

·
Registered
262 Posts
Originally posted by Al:
[qb]Lots of bang for your buck - its probably going to cost about GBP 500 to take you to the BHP equivalent of a T - (you could have bought one for the combined cost) but at least the engine has not been thrashed to within an inch of its life BEFORE you bought it!!    

Alyn [/qb][/b]
But remember, for that £500 you are going to get around 227 bhp and bucketfuls of torque which results in performance whcih will wipe the floor with a standard FPT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found one, a place in Sheffield will fit a Powerflow SS mid section and back box for 260 inc VAT. They want to see the underside first to make sure it will fit first before starting the job.

So what next Air filter I think but which type panel filter or induction kit? Hmmm.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
IMHO your first step in modding a 9-3 should be the steering and suspension. All that extra power is going to be useless unless you can keep the car on the road, and the 9-3 LPT has enough torque to handle through the standard chassis.

At the very least, get a steering rack clamp (try Elkparts or Abbott Racing) and possibly the full VRK (Viggen Rescue Kit) from Abbott. Next step should be springs/dampers. Only then have you got a sound platform to add more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts