Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a 1992 9000cs 2.0 eco, and as you all know this did not originally come with an intercooler. However I have recently fitted one and noticed a nice improvement on throttle reaction etc.

I was just wondering if theres any more basic steps that I can now do in order to get a bit more
out of my car without costing an arm and a leg .

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hmm, there's not an awful lot more you can do without costing a couple of hundred quid I'm afraid, although as you've now got an intercooler you coudl probably get away with rasing the base boost pressure slightly by shortening the wastegate arm by a mm or so.

Replacing the air filter with a performance once will give a marginal gain. After that your best option without fitting an ECU upgrade is to fit a performance downpipe, which will improve spool up times. The two I know of are from Elkparts and Abbott. The Elkparts is 3" aluminised steel, and needs to be cut down and fitted with an adaptor to mate to your system about £160. The Abbott is 2.5" stainless steel, and bolts straight in for about £295.

I've just rememembered- your other cheap option is to get a cat bypass pipe for about £40 or so from Elk. Being a 92, you may not need to replace it for MOT pass either.

HTH

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't know much about these things, but does a '92 have Trionic or DI/APC? Might that limit upgrade options?

Cheers

James

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
92 should be DI/APC, so yes, there are limited tuners offering upgrades. The only one I know of in the UK is Abbott.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys,

From the sounds of it my model is kind of a grey area in regards to upgrades etc...

I think the air filter is definitly going to be next on the list thats for sure, as for upping the base boost Im probably going to invest in pressure gauge just to make sure I dont increase it too much and cause damage.

Has anyone of you an idea of what sort of psi I could get away with?.

The cat bypass pipe might cause some probs with the crowd that do the roadworthyness (NCT) test over here, its a little bit more different over here. But the car is due for a retest shortly so I can figure all that out then or maybe just change the pipe before the test....

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated

Cheers
Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts