Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I bought my 91 9000 with 143k in February of 1998, have it now at 178k. Have had to replace the transmission (did not know the year had an issue), heating core, pulley system .... worried about more! LOVE the car - unsure if I should keep it to get back some of the dollars I've spent, OR get out before more goes wrong and buy a new 9-5 or a 2-3 year used? A few kind words please!?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Peter,
Firstly, sorry to hear of your woes. On to business: Saabs have a reputation for longevity, which sounds like a contradiction in the case of your 9000. Personally, I think that longevity comes at a price - servicing. I doubt rust or structural problems are an issue on your car?
I would guess that some of your problems you inherited from the previous owner - did they have the car serviced regularly - is it fSsh?
No consolation, but I've just broken the 160k barrier and I'm heading for needing either clutch or some work on the gearbox. The price of running an older car.
The main concern I would have for your car would be balance/timing chain needing doing - unless it's been done in the last 70-100k. By pulley do you mean the timing belt? I've gone through two of those in 80k.
As for going for replacements, it probably depends how much money you want to part with! In getting an older 9000 (like we have), they were cheap to buy but cost more in maintenance.
If you want to stick with the 9000, go for as late as you can afford (with minimum miles) so you are getting into that region between 100-150k where quite a few bits come up for renewal.
Have you tried a 9-5? Might not be quite as snug inside (the quality of the 9000 interior - bar rattling - is excellent), but the ride is brilliant. My recommendation on either 9000 or 9-5 would be 2.0t (little 't' means LPT), with wood and leather, so the CSE/SE spec.
Where abouts are you in the country (in case I can recommend a dealer to try a 9-5 at)?
You can get 24 hour test drives from http://www.saabs.co.uk but it's on your own insurance.

Hope that helps.

Phil.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Hi Peter

I'm sorry to hear of the problems with your 9000 - in my experience this is not typical of the model - but that is no consolation to you.

What Phil says about Full SAAB Service History rings true for all Saabs, especially those with turbos - to avoid major costs further down the ownership road.

I would suggest that next time it is in for a service - have the mechanics identify those components that they see will need imminent replacement. This should give an idea of whether your love of the car is greater than the depth of your wallet. I'm sure a different 9000 would not be such a handful.

The 9-5 is a great car. I was sceptical, until I drove one. I've now driven at least five different 9-5 models including the 9-5 Troll E, 9-5 Griffin, 9-5 Aero Saloon and 9-5 Aero Wagon. The last one was a bog standard 2.0t SE I think.

Despite Phil's kind words - I do not yet offer 24 hour test drives - suggest you try: http://www.saab.co.uk/britain/testdrive/frameset.html

For a comprehensive list of dealers with links to their websites and stocklists where appropriate try: http://www.saabs.co.uk/tsp/dealers/dealers.html

Hope this helps and I hope that you have many years of enjoyable Saab motoring!

/john

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.