Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I've been persuaded to run my car against a 89 Supra Turbo this weekend. Not quite sure what to expect. So I wanted to see if anyone here had some insight for me. Yes this will be LEGAL!

In the left corner... weighing in somewhere around 3000(?) pounds...

My 1991 Saab 9000 CD Turbo (converted to 5 Speed). Disabled balance shafts, lightenend flywheel, dawes device (@13 psi right now), K&N Drop in, Slightly higher compression (8.75ish). Swedish Dyamics fuel EEPROM. Some minor weight reduction. Performance head gasket. Poly engine and transmission mount.

Right corner... weighting in at over 3500 pounds...

A friends 1989 Supra Turbo automatic. Open air intake, slightly upgraded turbo w/MBC running 15 psi.

Were going to go from 60 mph. How many psi can I get from a somewhat stock fuel setup? It is stock but the components are all new. I can get a hold of 100 octane if needed. Also, is it worth the time to remove the cat on the 9000s?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Exciting! Isn't the Supra the one where Toyota claimed the auto was faster to 60 than the manual? If you've done something about traction in 1st and 2nd, my money may be on you! What power do the two cars have?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing between 250-270 hp at the wheels on the supra (Stock is 240 at the flywheel)
All I can say is more than 200 hp for mine. I'm thinking I may need to take the boost to 15-17 psi. Should be OK with that on 100 octane?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the Supras alternator conveniently kicked the bucket before we got to it, were going to do it this coming weekend if weather permits. And were going FROM 60 I will most definately post some detailed results, I'm very anxious to see how my Saab does against a dyed in the wool turbo sports car.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Ah, I should learn to read properly

That's a more even match (and a more useful comparison of performance!) - Good Luck with it

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems that this weekend was my turn for a failed part. Belt tensioner bracket decided to snap for whatever reason. I'll keep you all posted

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok results!!

After both of our cars having mechanical problems AND bad weather getting in the way, we finally got to it.

We went from 40 mph as a comprimise. Both downshifted (me into 2nd). Right after downshifting I got just a little bit ahead of the supra. Then the turbos spooled. My 9000 started pulling away. By the time I went into fourth (about 75mph) I had about 4 car lengths on him, falling back pretty quickly. Two reasons why I beat it I think... the supra weighs about as much as a tank, and it's automatic transmission. Both of those really robbed it's power.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I kicked up my boost to about 15 psi. Probably didn't matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts