Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably obvious to the mechanically minded...
1990 9000S starts ok but "shrieks" for one or two seconds afterwards. Its been doing this for a while now but not getting any worse.

BTW what is the significance of the "S" in the model. Also, i've seen a car advertised...

9000cse 2.3T Anniversary
R Reg
£6995

Midnight Blue, Sand Leather, Airbag x 2,Alloy wheels, Climate control, Wood trim, Wood steering wheel, Cruise control, Audio, ABS, PAS, E/W, C/L, Trip Comp, RWW, 225BHP

at Economy SAAB, Bristol,

sound like a good buy?

Cheers, Stephen.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well there are 'shrieks' and there are 'shrieks' but it's probably a just a 'fan belt' (no I know it isn't a fan belt but... ) slipping type problem - dead easy to solve by tightening the tensioner/replacing the belt, it's a bit of a hastle to get to tho as you have to remove the inner wing cover - still dead easy realy tho.

You didn't mention mileage or service history on the 2.3t - sounds like all of its' money and then some to me (by at least a grand) but things are cheaper up North

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I agree with Dave on your first question. As to your 9000cse 2.3T Anniversary question, have you looked at the SAAB Trader review? £6,995 sounds a tad high, tho' it is a full turbo and if it's of showroom standard... As to the claimed 225bhp, I always thought full turbos came in at 200bhp and have never seen anything to say they re-rated this model. Someone else might have the info there.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The noise you describe is a classic symptom of the crankshaft pulley damper failing.
To check it, look under the car at the offside wheel arch, you can see the pulley. It has three sections, and outer steel ring, a rubber insert and an inner steel ring. Mark a chalk or Tippex line across all three pieces. Wait until you've started the car a few times and the noise has occurred, then check the line. If the pieces have moved out of line with each other, replace the pulley asap, as it's known to eat its way through the casting, oil pump etc!!!!!
Pete.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Errr, confused now....we are all talking about a 1990 B202 non turbo engine as fitted to a 9000S aren't we? Last time I looked they had a one piece crankshaft pulley with no evidence of any damping.... If we're not Petes' diagnosis works for me!

·
Registered
865 Posts
1,aux.drive belt slipping and as it is self tensioned needs replaced.2 s stands for sport,i think/just got rid of 91 9000s/got 95 cse lpt and handling on 9000s was miles better,i think it had better/stiffer suspension.3 car you mention has 225 bhp but is still overpriced.if you need help changing belt let me know cause there is easier ways than haynes book states.regards zep.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Pretty sure the B202 had a damper. My '87 turbo certainly had, and it made a hell of a noise. Perhaps the non-turbo was different, but since the crankshaft is the same I'd have thought it would need the damper too.

You have to look closely before it is apparent that it consists of three parts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm in agreement with BillJ on this. I've had 1985 and 1990 B202 cars both of which had the harmonic damper. Although they were both turbos I' don't see why it would be omitted on non-turbo engines.
Also FYI the tensioner is a manual adjustment on the B202 engines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your comments and advice.

I think this sort of job is way beyond my meagre mechanical abilities. However, I do appreciate the guidance as I now know what to expect when I get it to a garage.

In truth I don't really have seven grand for the the Anniversary model I mentioned but hey, sometime soon I'll be coming back for advice on something a bit more modestly priced.

Cheers Guys, best regards
Stephen.

·
Registered
865 Posts
this confusion is cause by different engines,my 1990 9000s was 2.3 balanced shaft b 234.unfortunately steven does not say what engine is in his car.i still stand by what i said about checking belt first it is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing pulley. i also agree if car is b234 chalk mark pulley then check if it out of line,hopefully it is only worn belt.get some more info.on your car and get back to us steven.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Originally posted by SteveN:
[qb]As to the claimed 225bhp, I always thought full turbos came in at 200bhp and have never seen anything to say they re-rated this model. Someone else might have the info there.[/qb][/b]
225 engine came as standard for M97, on manual box cars, autos still had 200. This model virtually replaced the Aero, as Anniversary had virtually the same kit.

If the car has FSSH then £7k is not too bad, from what I gather they (recent 9000s) do not stay on the forecourts for very long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Zep, Everybody,

thanks for the continuing interest.

Engine is the non-turbo 2.0i and when I looked under the bonnet yesterday I realised that this sort of job is way out of my league.

Stephen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.