Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1988 9000i which would not go into 1st or 2nd gear. With help from a friend and this forum we managed to locate the problem to the rubber bush in the gear selector linkage (many thanks to whoever was concerned).

There now seems to be an intermittent brief (one second or so) 'pulling-back' sensation when running. This typically occurs once or twice on an average trip. I am not sure whether it is engine or gearbox related as I am not accustomed to Saabs, as yet. I suspect it could be gearbox/drive related. The best comparison of the symptom, with anything I know, is when a stone lodged between the chain and drive wheel of my garden ride-on mower and caused a 'high' spot and the chain to over-tighten.

Any suggestions of what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Re: 9000i 1988 pulling-back/dragging/impeding intermittently (gearbox/drive or engine?)

When on an 'average' trip does it happen? and how long is an average trip? Loads of stop start city driving or fairly frequent thrashing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 9000i 1988 pulling-back/dragging/impeding intermittently (gearbox/drive or engine?)

Dave, an 'average' trip is a 40 mile commute. Bearing in I mind the age of the vehicle, I do not tend to 'thrash' it too much.

Also, do you need to jack the car and remove the nearside wheel to check the gearbox oil level?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.