Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 1997 9000CD Eco Auto for just under a year now - at 66k service last week the garage confirmed that it had been upgraded to full turbo - yippee!
Just as I suspected. They loaned me a K reg 9000 Eco & it was nowhere near as quick as mine.
Anyway, my question is:
Does anyone know where I can find out the gear ratios in my auto box? I'd like to know the speed ranges for each gear & mph/1000 rpm figures as well. I certainly find that I have to shift to 3rd to get the max acceleration - kickdown is not nearly as effective. The info is not in my handbook.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm sure I have this somewhere, I'll have a look tonight, unless someone beats me to it. As for ranges in gears, I found with my 9000CDE auto, it was much smoother to manually put it down to 3rd before overtaking, otherwise the surge as it kicked down was a bit unsettling. Especially if you were anywhere near the back of the car in front!

I do remember that it didn't change up into 4th until past 120 (on the clock) if you kept the accelerator nailed. (on the autobahn, of course)
This was quite spectacular (to the guy on the old motorbike trying to overtake me on the inside) as full throttle, max revs upchange gave quite a surge forwards as the engine slowed and it's momentum went into forward progress.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I knew somebody would beat me to it

I can add, that my handbook states that 4th gear gives 40-41 km/h per 1000rpm. This will enable you to calculate the speeds/1000rpm in the other gears from saabyrite's ratios.

From memory, auto 2nd, 3rd and 4th are almost exactly the same ratios as 3rd, 4th, 5th in a manual, but 1st is equivalent to
1 1/2th . These are of course, without any converter slip, so the effective ratios will be lower when under load, if not locked up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.