Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone..new to this forum, but not new to Saabs. I am 55 years old, and had a great time in the '70s with a couple two-cycle engine Saabs. After a long haitus from them, I recently purchased a 1991 5-door hatchback at an auction. The drawback is that it has a broken windshield. I have been scouting the local PA yards, and have found a 1986, and a 1987 with good windshields; however, the exchange book reference states that 1991 9000 windshields are different..are they? The dimensions seem remarkably close..if you why they are different, please advise! Thanks

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene Larry.

Having owned an '87, '90 and '93 model you might think I should know the answer to this one but I don't for sure, so I'll let someone with the appropriate knowledge come along...

Nick.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Larry and welcome

From what I can see 86, 87 and 90-91 models have the same part # for the windscreen.

However, the windscreen forms an integral part of the overall body shell and is bonded in place to the shell. Removing one without damaging it, as scminks suggests, may well be a very difficult job.

[edited for typo
]

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome, Larry.

As far as I know, the windshield shape is the same through all years when 9000 was produced, the reason for what later and earlier cars have different p/n can be they introduced heat absorbing glass. Somewhen around 92, I think. So any windshield should fit any 9000.

The problem is, as scminks and MarkE suggested, is the removal of the old one. I don't think it's possible, but it could be worth trying, it depends on the breaker. I woulnd't risk any money on it, but if he says "let's try and pay me only if it works" then go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thank you all for your observations. I'll approach the yard involved, and find out if they will attempt it w/o money up front. If not, I'll 'bite the bullet', and go with a new one. Thanks again! Larry Morris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts