Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just aquired my first Saab. A 1992 9000 S Manual, Black with Black Leather & alloys and 6 months MOT for £50. Running well, just minor problems with it.

I have 3 questions.

My first question is:- is there an online manual either owners handbook (so I know how the gadgets work) or service manual.

Second question. The heater does not work (car doesnot have A/C). Is there an obvious place to start looking? thermostat, heater valves etc.

I plan using this as a second car in my name, does anyone know a good insurer to give me a cheap second car policy?

I look forward to posting in the future.

If I like this one I plan getting a 2.3 turbo

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hi Saab_scotland

1st of all where did you find that for £50???, someone will be along shortly (no doubt) to help with regarding the manual.
I have spare Haynes man,it covers the 9000 models from 85'-95' a fiver and it's yours if you want.

Your heater,(non acc) is it the blower motor? cause on mine it would only work on no 4. It was the little "white" plug at the side of the motor under the cover at bulkhead.
Looking in the engine bay, to your right hope that helps.

Cant help on ins companies, basically there all a Feckin' rip off in my mind.

BTW if you know/hear of any further 9000's gee'us a shout.

Stu

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Saab1, thanks for the offer, I have sent a message to you.

As for £50, my neighbour has it lying gathering dust so I made him an offer. I

The heater motor works ok but it only blows cold air.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't actually get it 'til Friday but as it is my neigbour I will try and take a couple of spy shots when he's not looking. If not it will have to wait 'til the weekend when he is bringing it round. I will create a seperate link to my site for the beast.

Ewan.

Here is my checklist of stuff needing done to it:
1- Remove electric ariel. (Main reason I originally agreed to take the car was due to my (Mazda MX6 daily runner) electric ariel breaking and a newone was going to cost £40) The Saab has one and is only costing £50...so really only costing me £10) ...that's how I sold the idea to the wife
2- Heater only blows cold
3- C/L only unlocks with the key. Does not lock with the key.
4- Minor front bumper damage (repairable)
5- stone chips on leading edge of the rear arches
6- holes in centre consul where a mobile had been fitted
7- Alloys need corrosion cleaned of and repainted
8- exhaust needs welding at a couple of joints
9- engine needs a damn good clean
10- Face off RDS Stereo (cost £9 from Ebay) needs fitting
11- Oil and filter change
12- Buy and fit new number plates (originally had private number that was removed).
13- replace drivers door mirror swithches
14- Damn good clean and polish
15- Tax and insure
16- enjoy the experience.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Congratulations in picking up a nice Saab so cheaply.

With regard to the lack of heat; The coolant system is self-bleeding and airlocks are not normally a problem. If the thermostat is stuck closed the engine would soon overheat.
There is no heater valve, coolant runs through the heater matrix all the time and the heat is regulated by a mixer flap which controls the mix of heated or cold air to the cabin. This is operated by a cable attached to the rotary heat control in the dash. Probability is that the cable has come off at one end or the other. You can check the operation of the flap by removing the cover off the space behind the false bulkhead. Looking down below the heater blower and to the left (looking from the front of the car) there is a small lever which you should see move if an assistant operates the knob inside the car. On early ACC equiped cars, this lever would sometimes break off.

C/L problem is most likely a faulty switch in the driver's door.

Good luck in getting the car sorted out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heater advice Derek. The Driver door key will not even turn to lock the door. The current owner of the car tried to get new keys but the key cutter says the key (both of them) are to worn to make new copies. I think the key may be part of the problem.

Thanks again

·
Registered
217 Posts
Originally posted by Saab_Scotland:
[qb]1- Remove electric ariel. (Main reason I originally agreed to take the car was due to my (Mazda MX6 daily runner) electric ariel breaking and a newone was going to cost £40) The Saab has one and is only costing £50...so really only costing me £10)     ...that's how I sold the idea to the wife   [/qb][/b]
Dont tell the wife but you can replace an electrc ariel with a universal elec arial, as I just did for £25....

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Saab_Scotland:
[qb]As for one of my original questions is there a user manual on the web anywhere?[/qb][/b]
I've never come across one. However, if there's anything you need to know, there'll be someone here with a '92 handbook (not among my own collection, I'm afraid) who can help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
It seems like there should be a place where older and hard to find manuals are available for sale.
I remember seeing something like it in the "Nines" magazine and will research over the weekend as I could use a '92 owners manual myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got the car on Thursday and it is better than I expected. Most of the samll problems on the list I made are already fixed.

the best bit was on Saturday the neighbour shouted me ovr saying he had found something else for the Saab....it was the service manual and the user manual all in the leather binder with all the cars history.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That makes 2 of us s/s,I pick up my new (well new to me) tonight.
A K reg 2.0 LPT 9000, the only thing I'm wary about really is the colour,bloody Green .
But like yourself I'll see if can some get pics together, BTW I sent you a p/m.

Stu

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The list of outstanding items to fix is reducing.
The following are all repaired - Exhaust, wing mirror switch, headlamp wipers, cleaned leather, fitted stereo, central locking, (I will be uploading some pictures tomorrow to my site - follow the link at the top of the page to the SAAB9000 http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/)

BUT

the heater is still tasking me....the flap is opening and shuting correctly, the thermostat stays closed (Top rad hose warms up - bottom hose stays cold) until the engine heats up then the bottom hose gets warm.

When in the car the heater allow some heat through but not much, I would guess around 5% of what it should be.

I also checked the heater pipes leading to and coming from the matrix, both are the same temperature...

Any clues....

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.