Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there got a set of uprated ARB's fitted to their 9000?

I am considering rear only or possibly the full kit, but have no idea what difference they might make.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I'd say start with the rear ARB and uprate the front one only if you're not comfortable with the lack of understeer/lift-off oversteer .

You don't want to stiffen the front bar any more than strictly necessary on an FWD car. The stiffer the torsion bar between left and right suspension on an axle, the less lateral grip/traction it gets. Most FWD race cars are set up with the rear providing the brunt of the car's roll stiffness...

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
So the choice is
1) Abbott secondary bar kit: £175+vat
2) SAS 1" replacement rear bar from the US = £175 inc vat + postage?

Are there any others? I'd love to get a rear ARB upgrade to reduce the understeer...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Gonna go back to rubber on my front ARB. They sorted the car for a while on stock springs and dampers, but after a bit of settling the advantage was reduced. With the stiff springs and dampers its a far tooo flat handling at the front and the steering is a bit too heavy for my liking. As Eric says, traction under power is also compromised.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]I think the decision is roll v traction[/qb][/b]
So what's wrong with roll, as long as it's not really excessive? You could always get less roll by pumping up the shocks and still keep some indpendence between the front wheels for traction.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
my leaning (sorry !) is for the uprated rear ..
my concern is the caveat that SAS put on their website ..confuses the he11 out of me
I am encouraged by the good feedback from the abbott piggy back kit
and also the rear is a pretty much a diy job (as long as the bolts come out...)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've got an SAS rear 1" bar for a 99 if pictures will help make anyones mind up.

I'm not sure what it does for handling but it's a substantial piece of fabrication.

I liked the price too. Think it was about £115 plus £26 vat and customs handling fee.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. Just ordered a rear SAS from Elk for a bit more composure through Anglesey's twisties!

I too am intending to remove my front poly ARB bushes, Jason. I think it will also lessen the harshness I feel at the front end.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Didnt know you could get SAS rear bar from Elk. How much are they (total total)? - Is it a long lead time?
Maybe I should ask them myself.

Anyway - keep us posted on the improvements (or otherwise)

·
Registered
295 Posts
But how should I understand, the following text in the ad. " Rear 1" Sway Bar with mounting kit & instructions
(NOT recommended-will create more oversteer) "????

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]Get mine tomorrow
gone for the rear only
busy weekend then
brakes and a/r bar

I hope the bottom bolts come out      [/qb][/b]
What are you doing to your brakes?

My car might stop better in 10 days time...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dunno, but Mark E seems pretty happy with his and I have a very similar setup inc the LSD, which makes the car feel as if it is dramnatically oversteering anyway if you are used to a conventional setup.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The Abbott rear ARB upgrade is very good... my handling now is almost oversteering, but very nice. I intend to completely disconnect the front ARB to increase grip and reduce harshnness- this will be even more necessary I think now I've gone to 18" wheels. Initial thoughts are very sharp handling but a reduction in gtrcationm over undulating surfaces. Removing the front ARB will allow the suspension to do it's job properly- I hope!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Any guesses as to whether the Abbott one + Aero ARB is more or less aggressive than the SAS one?

The SAS one does look particularily brutal..I want to get rid understeer but don't want to tailslide round the first wet roundabout (hmm or maybe I do )

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
sas say...
front reduces oversteer
rear reduces understeer

but on the rear only kit they say

not recommended makes it oversteer

looks butch tho....

edited once I read it again

1 - 20 of 70 Posts