Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Where can I get tuning parts for my -86 9000 turbo? I have planned to boost the turbo little bit (about 270hp)and better suspension etc. Also something for the out-fit? Hirchs looks good but 86 might be too old for it? visit to www.alienmotorsport.8k.com there are one really cool saab 9000

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Quite right Eric, I'll move it to TTE...

[edit] Oops, sorry, I forgot:

Welcome to Saabscene, Jeo_Fin

I'm moving this to the TTE section as it is our main area for tuning quries and you will therefore get a bettr response

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Where can I get tuning parts for my -86 9000 turbo? I have planned to boost the turbo little bit (about 270hp)and better suspension etc  [/b]
1986 2.0 APC Turbo 9000 ? Hirsch and Maptun don't do upgrades for non-trionic based cars. And if memory serves me correctly, the APC on the 86 2.0 Turbo was non digital, so I guess that POTS tweeking of the APC ala classic 900 is do-able.

hmm.. You will be doing quite a bit of upgrading to get to a reliable 270HP.

Lets say we will aim at 230HP to start with.

1) Upgrade the intercooler to a free flow intercooler - the bigger and freer flowing the better, and perhaps on top fit an intercooler fan.
2) Install a 3'' turbo downpipe and full sports exhaust
3) replace the air filter with a performance airfilter, or even better a full cold-air kit from BSR or K&N.

These mods will help keep exhaust gas temperatures down, which will help curb detonation when you start to up the boost.
Now you have an option - Manual Boost Controller or not..

4) Install a manual boost controller and calibrated boost gauge and turn the boost up until you get knock detection, and then turn it back a bit.

-OR-

4) A Modified APC, an upgraded Bosch fuel chip

5) It might be an idea to fit a transmission cooler, and perhaps an oil cooler kit to further keep things on the cool side.

If you want to go past the 230hp stage, you're gonna have to look at gas flowing the head, fueling upgrades and internal engine upgrades...

To get an extra 10 to 15HP on top of the above, a rising rate fuel regulator and a Trim60 Group A Turbo would be an option.

If you check out what Speedparts do for the 1986 Turbo 9000.. you will see broadly those options...

http://www.speedparts.se/ then Uppgradering then 9000 85-88 utan kat . Stage 2 and Stage 3 Kit.

The stage 3 kit should get you at 235, 240hp for around 12,800 Swedish Kroner if your engine is in good condition.

As far as chassis upgrades are concerned,

Bushing changes to the wishbone bushes and antiroll bar bushes are a good idea.. whether upgrading to poly or not, the ones you have are likely to be tired.

Rear anti-roll bar replacement to a thicker one is a worthwhile upgrade.

Replacing the springs and dampers to Abbott/Koni combo reaps benefits, but there are others who have had just as good results with Pi springs, Bilstein Dampers etc..

Good advice on the chassis front for older cars can be had from Trent Saab - http://www.trentsaab.co.uk and Abbott Racing - http://www.abbottracing.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for replies. and i'm sorry about wrong topic. i'm a newbie in here. I have hearded that its quite easy to get about 250hp from turbo engine.. well we all know those stories "my pals friend got saab with 400hp.." well my budget is about 1500€ so I can only make few little changes.. i think keeping my saab as much "sleeper" as possible.. bigger and better ic and some chipping are first thing in my plans. We got one 900 which got "red chp" and better exhaust and it got about 225hp but lower torque. Well i have discuss with my "sponsor" what ideas he got.. i'm still dreamin about 270hp.. then i can challenge the supra "fastest car in this town". I WILL beat that someday somehow..
sweet dreams...

---
"turbo is the Answer"

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Jeo_Fin:
[qb]i'm still dreamin about 270hp.. then i can challenge the supra "fastest car in this town".[/qb][/b]
Maximum horsepower isn't everything. Don't forget the awesome torque that the 9000 turbo can provide. My 9000 Aero (2.3T) only produces about 300hp, but on the track, much more powerful cars (Ferraris, Porsches, Aston Martins, etc.) cannot keep up with it. Why? Perhaps it's something to do with 320+ lbft of torque from 2500-5000rpm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts