Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the top speeds of the 9000 2.3t, 2.3T and aero ?

My LPT (about to be upgraded) has a speedo up to 140mph, I am sure I read somewhere the FPT (200bhp) top speed was in excess of 140mph, and yet I saw the dash of the FPT car today and besides having a boost gauge the speedo only read to 140mph !

Is this correct ?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My 5 speed 2.0lpt touches 70mph at 2.5K rpm so by definition thats 140mph at 5K rpm with the red dashes only starting at 5.5K rpm.... have had it up to just under 100mph will lots of
still apparently under the pedal

Steve

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How odd that you can actually wind the car up and get the needle to disappear off the end of the clock, most tend to read far higher than the cars top speed, I guess I shall have to see whether I can achieve that at some point !

·
Registered
753 Posts
I hadn't heard that Aeros had any electronic speed limiting to 148, and the info I have suggests 149 as the max speed.

My Aero ran out of power at just over 5000 rpm in 5th, which was well off the speedo and should equate to 150 ish. No need for an electronic limiter if it can't physically go any faster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Best way is to use a GPS. I tried out my early Lpt with Abbot chip on a german autoban max out at 143mph on the gps but speedo was well off the clock !.Thats on the limiter in 5th, but you do need plenty of space for this!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
my speedo exactly correlates with my gps (running non std wheels and tyres)
And I had it at 145 with more to come, backed of and burnt a valve
I reckon if I could pull the red line in 5th ...this would be 160
(lowered final drive)
I remember ed abbott saying if an aero could pull the red line in 5th it would be doing 184 mph !!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, with the LPT having higher gearing it should reach a top speed of about 400mph ! given enough power and a hill long enough !

The gearing is mega tall, Im pretty sure I can almost reach 70mph in second !

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]On my old Morris Minor, given a downhill stretch and a following wind, it was only the pin at the zero point that stopped the needle going round for a second circuit  
 [/qb][/b]
Yeah! I did that in my Morris Traveller, with 3 people in the car too

A mean machine that, and no mistake. It felt like it had no contact with the road at all

·
Registered
222 Posts
If hypothetically there were any roads in the UK where it were legal to go at that speed then I would have had my '94 Aero well beyond the end of the speedo (around 150 ish) and hypothetically this could have happened on the M 66 going north from bury towards ramsbottom where there are no speed cameras.

Of course, this is entirely hypothetical and never actually happened.....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
 On my old Morris Minor, given a downhill stretch and a following wind, it was only the pin at the zero point that stopped the needle going round for a second circuit  [/b]
Had my old 1200 Triumph Herald estate off the end of the clock several times - I suppose about 85mph - what a car - £30 to buy and a year's MOT - scrapped at the end.

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Originally posted by andycannon:
[qb]The gearing is mega tall, Im pretty sure I can almost reach 70mph in second !    [/qb][/b]
I can believe that. My 96 MY abboted 2.0 lpt is now good for 90 mph in third..... in fact, third is some gear, especially on the twisty stuff, like a 1 gear automatic from 20 - 90 ! (not on public roads of course...)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Originally posted by Mark R:
[qb]... in fact, third is some gear, especially on the twisty stuff, like a 1 gear automatic from 20 - 90 ! (not on public roads of course...) [/qb][/b]
I'm fairly sure that it isn't good practice to run 3rd gear at 20mph. At this speed, this places the rev's WAY below the engine's powerband. This causes lugging in my car. But 90 in 3rd, I can attest to that. I have never really topped out 4th, but considering public 55mph roads and all... I figured that 115 or so was good enough!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.