Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9000 turbo MY1990 is in having major surgery and Arlesford Garage have given me a gas fired J plated 9000CS 2.0S LPT. My car has 103K on the clock, the loan car 150K. The loan car goes round corners far better than my car. Anyone know the major differences between the two cars/got any suggestions how to get my car to ride and handle better?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Hmm. Although the CS body is significantly stiffer than the earlier 5-doors, the later base model suspension should feel much more floaty than your '90 turbo. Was the loaner by chance fitted with newish shocks or even an upgrade (eg Koni etc.)?

I would check shocks, alignment, suspension bushes and springs in that order. Your 9000t should easily hold its own in the twisties with the CS.

FWIW when I had handling complaints with Saabine it turned out to be two leaking shocks - one in the front and one in the rear. Enter four brand new Koni's of which I might get reimbursed for one (I still had the receipt of the rears - lifetime warranty, you know...).

Good luck,
Eric

www.turboteameurope.com

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Funnily enough, the suspension on my Dad's M95 9000 CSE V6 with 96K and FSSH copes better with the shed load of speed humps in area, than my M96 9000 Aero with 58K and FSSH. His V6 seems to have better suspension than my Aero..!!!
And I've fitted polyurethane bushes all around...!!!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Bill, I was concerned about the rather floaty handling of my '91 SE turbo; when cornering I was constantly having to "tweak" my line (ooh, er, missus), and under hard acceleration it tendered to wander a bit.

The first change was to have Abbots fit a stiffer rear anti-roll bar and anti-rol bar bushes front and rear. In addition they fitted lower stiffer springs and Koni gas dampers.

The handling improvement is, quite simply, massive. As they say, it corners as if on rails now, and the braking performance has improved considerably (I used to get the anti-lock coming into play on even the slightest bit of roadside gravel, if I applied more than a small amount of pressure on the brakes.)

Fitting 16" Super Aero wheels with Gislaved tyres was the icing on the handling cake.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eric and Aeropilot. The shocks look to be standard but I have no idea if they have been replaced on the CS. It certainly steers and settles into a corner well for its age and mileage. It is a bit floaty under braking compared to my car. The loan car is on 205/55/15s whereas mine is on 195/60/15s. This might make a little difference with stiffer sidewalls tightening up the steering response.

As for speed bumps in any car.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.