Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member here, I have just bought a 1990 SE Turbo Automatic, 79k one owner and FSSH, and I already have a '97 900 2.0i Coupe. The Turbo is great (if a bit thirsty...) My problem is the boost gauge sits between white and orange, even when ignition is off, any thoughts. Also the DCC computer is showing F2 error code for the outside temperature, is this easy to fix. I may be back for more advice, after I have driven it a bit more, but it has been pampered so shouldn't have too many faults, I hope!!!

G

·
The Turbo is great (if a bit thirsty...)  [/b]
Should be more economical than the non-turbo model.

My problem is the boost gauge sits between white and orange, even when ignition is off, any thoughts.[/b]
This is normal. Needle into white is vacuum, needle into orange is boost, needle into red is big boost and big grins!

Also the trip computer is showing F2 error code for the outside temperature, is this easy to fix.[/b]
Sorry, don't know. 9000s aren't my thang

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Liam and welcome on board.

When you say that the boost gauge needle sits between white and orange, does it move at all?

Calling it a boost gauge is perhaps a slight misnomer because what it's actually measuring is manifold pressure. On idle or overrun, it will be negative pressure from the engine sucking in air- up to 0.7 bar. Switched off, it should sit somewhere just after 12 o clock, at idle somewhere around 11 o clock.

Mark

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark

It is working perfectly well if what you say is true. This is my 1st Saab turbo, (have had an Uno Turbo in the past...quick and fragile) so I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that. Definitely goes into the orange and red when I boot it though!!!

Any ideas on the error code on my trip computer?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Is the 19mpg figure your calculation from the filling up or the computer's? Only ask as if it's the computer calculation check the display is set for Imp. gallons, not US gallons

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx Steve

Will check the units on the trip meter at lunchtime. Probably just need to ease off the loud pedal a bit though, this is my 1st automatic and still getting used to it. More used to driving Minis and our 900 manual. My old 2.9 V6 Dagenham dustbin (Sierra....) did more mpg than the turbo is up to now.

Loving it so far though, but haven't blown away any boy racers yet.... Plenty of time for that.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Sorry, Liam, not much help on the temperature problem.

Regarding your mpg, apart from checking it says "Imp", I would also verify the figure with a brim to brim tank measurement; it's not unknown for the readings to be a few mpg out, although there is a documented procedure for calibrating the figures.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Being an auto, if you're booting it trying it out, it's probably about right. Mines a 2.3 Auto, and I average between 21 and 24mpg, cos I do a lot of town driving, to and from work. On the open road cruising it gets in excess of 30. So once you settle down it should improve, I find it hard not to use the right foot though

Neil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.