Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

9000 Turbo / 9000S Question

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  9000CS23T 
#1 ·
Hey guys, got a question. I have 2 Saabs, one 9000 Turbo, one 9000S, both 1990. The 9000 turbo's exterior and interior are trashed but mechanically is fine. The 9000S is fine in every way except of course it's not a turbo. Is there a way to put the turbo in the 9000S. I realize it is going to be a pain, but any info would be great and anyone who could point me in the right direction for info or whatever would be great. Thanx!!

#2 ·
Welcome to the board RyanT.

I can see your dilemna having owned a 2.0i and a Full Pressure Turbo. I'm not sure if you'd be better transplanting the whole unit instead of just the Turbo.

Don't take my word for it - when the techie people start waking up you'll get a decent answer!

Kevin Mc
9000 Moderator

#4 ·
You have to transplant more than just the turbo, as the compression ratios are lower for blown motors. Usually this means a new piston/conrod/crank assembly, or a different cylinder head. Would be very interested to hear how the technical bods approach this.

#5 ·
mmmmm - everything will fit, but you'll have to swap everything engine wise (inculding most of the electrics) from one car to the other. A prety big job by all accounts and it's not impossible but there again not something you can do easily in your driveway (and it WILL cost you money) - and then (BIG THEN BTW ) you'd have to find an insurance company that is willing to insure the converted 9000S for sensible money...........

I'd tidy the 9000S and sell it for as much as you can get, break or sell the turbo car, if only to sell on the motor, and buy a decent original 9000 turbo with the proceeds if that's what you realy want - trust me it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run

#6 ·
I agree with Dave, you will have to swap everything engine wise and management and insurance companies don't want to know. I have done this myself on other cars and even though the engine is standard, cos it wasn't in that car from the factory it is deemed as "modified" and the insurance bog their arm in.(Thats if they'll even insure it)

Neil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.