Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 2.0 LPT´s and the Aero´s share the same geabox/transmission? Reason for asking is that I am planning a Maptun step one opgrade and if its the same gearbox there shouldnt be any problems.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
ok - 1st pass is the ratios will be miles out - given that 5th gear on the aero is geared to nearly 180mph(!?) As for strength and durability I reckon they will be almost identical.

Over to someone with more technical input!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Mechanically, they are essentially the same, and AFAIK the main difference is in the final drive ratio between different models.

So, to answer the question I think you're asking, the transmission will quite happily cope with your proposed increase in power

·
Registered
778 Posts
IIRC, the 9000 does have a speed limiter, which can be reprogrammed. The effect is made by limiting the boost pressure - the trionic calculates the speed from the rpms @ 5th gear and adjusts the boost accordingly.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Oh, one other thing: as far as fuel cut-off is concerned, the MAP sensor will cut fuel if it senses the boost pressures are too high. Anyone who has experience with faulty BPC solenoids will agree that when they fail by giving overboost, the MAP sensor will kick in and shut things down pretty quick!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just a quick comment the AERO box is built like a brick S**T house and will take anything (almost) that you throw at it
If you are offered an Aero box BUY it
Not sure about the ratios but who cares - they are not the same boxes

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by StephenA:
[qb]Check the rubber bush in the gearbox link.. the one on my brother's 9000 split and he lost two gears.[/qb][/b]
I agree with StephenA. Assuming it is a pre-'94 (although some '94s apparently have the same coupler), this is a classic symptom of a split coupler. £80 would be fitted, I assume. DIY is a lot cheaper.

A replacement procedure is available here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.