Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very sick 9k trans. The car will go into reverse only sometime and often shifts into the lowest gear at near zero speed. I wanted to find a used one to install but they seem pricy. How complicated is a rebuild? Is there a good source for info on this and for the parts needed. Thanks in advance.
-Justin Lewis

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene Justin !!

I assume you mean auto transmission ? Most of the threads here on gearbox problems are concerning manual boxes, but some wise words will surface soon
Have you tried the search function ?

Good luck
David

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I think most of the 9000 auto gearbox quotes on here relate to turbo = auto toast at 100,000 miles. There are exceptions to this rule though.

I have to confess to never having tried to rebuild a 9000 auto box, but have heard tales of peoppe rebuilding the 'valve packs' and changeing failters beacause of shift up and down problems remaining after 2-3 fluid changes (an fluid change only changes about 50% of the oil bacause lots remains in the torque converter and oil galleries).

Have you tried an opil change of checked the quality of you current oil? does it samll burnt or show discolouration?

Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. This site has a very good search function. Found another user who is thinking of taking on the same project. The car is a 89' 2.0 turbo with 130k miles on the clock. I found a used trans for $400 that supposedly has 50k miles since a rebuild. Are there any visual indications that might help determine if this true. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.