Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to ferry my motorbike about now and again. Did think about buying a van, but little use, MOT, Tax, insurance, parking etc. made that a no no.

So, thought of putting a tow hitch on the car, and using a trailer. Van anyone advise of a good tow bar, and more importantly, how easy are they to fit & wire up?

Twostroketoturbo are advertising (secondhand?)towbars at £50 +VAT. Is this good value?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've had tow bars on all my saabs. The last 'Witter' one I bought for my CS cost about £100 all in ( inc tow ball ,wiring etc.) It took about 2 hours to fit including the electrics.

There is normally a socket attached to the wiring loom just below the rear l/h light cluster. I think if you buy a genuine Saab tow bar you can just plug the electrics into it, and even if you don't you at least have a convenient point to connect your wiring loom.

£50 + vat seems a bit too close to new prices unless it is for a genuine saab tow bar.

I had a few problems with the electrics as the haynes manual wiring diagrams didn't match my wiring loom, so I had to fiddle a bit until it all worked. If you need details please let me know

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bought the towbar, and it is a genuine Saab one. Took an unbelievable 5 (yes, five) minutes to fit to the car (five bolts only).

Now need to get the electric socket for the lights (do not want an auxillary socket). The two on it were a bit old, and had just been cut off-a local tow bar dealer can supply the complete thing, with Saab adapter, for £19.99.

I found the plug by the rear light, which is excellent, but I have a rather stupid question now-how do I get the two plugs together? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to feed the cable through to the plug by the light. Or am I missing something obvious?

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is a grommet on the centre line of the rear of the tyrewell in the boot (just above the towbar)

If you remove the plastic ribbed panel on the lip of the tailgate opening you should be able to pass the cable along up to the connector.

I don't have a Saab adapter, I simply used individual spade terminals plugged into the multiplug.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Gixter 5 minutes??
What then happened to al the other brackets that are mounted in addition to a towbar. I believen one in the spare wheel room, one on each side behind the wheel house. And finally one one each side in the chassis. These all come suplied when buying an original new saab kit. Or a kit from Brink.
I've seen strangely deformed rear ends of an 9000 due to incomplete mounting of a towbar. It goes allright when hooking up a bicycle carrier. But with trailers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Originally posted by Injectie:
[qb] 
What then happened to al the other brackets that are mounted in addition to a towbar.  [/qb][/b]
I got my towbar from a CS from a Saab Independent.
5 bolts - remove tow eye and use the 2 mountings and 3 captive nuts behind the bumper. The bar is different for the non-CS car. Is this what you are referring to?

deebel

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Injectie, can you describe these extra brackets in more detail? I have fitted two Witter towbars to my CSEs and they fitted to the bumper at the rear with three bolts and at the front they replaced the towing eye, with two bolts fitted to the existing holes. No extra brackets were supplied with the Witter kits.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I also have fitted a tow bar to a 9000 and it was mounted on the rear of the bumper beam (3 holes in a pyramid shape) and then to the two holes where the original towing eye was fitted to the spare wheel well.
I guess I could be wrong but I guess all 9k's would be the same with no extra brackets required.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
God, i was getting worried there-I thought I had missed something! As for using spade terminals into the socket-are they colour coded (I'm an electrical dunce)? Does this affect the pictogram at all? If so, and if not, I'll try to connect it all up this way, and spend my £20 elsewhere.

Glad to see that help is always at hand here.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I couldn't find a discrition of how to fit. But i did find some pictures of the complete saab kit for a 9000 CS

In the first picture there are the "hook" and the bracket that goes in the spare wheel well.

On the second pictures are al the brackets that are mounted on the side of the bottom. The two bended ones are fitted behind the wheel wells.

Saab claims a fitting time of 2.3 hours for this kit. But then on a Cs you can tow up to 1800 KG

Hope this will make it clear for everyone. If not feel fre to ask.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gixer a word of warning you do not mention age of car!

Early 9000's have weak body and without extra strengthener plates you will pull the back end off the car!
I know I did it!
I believe there were changes made about 1986/1987 but I had a late 1987 and that had not been modified.
The really annoying thing was I only towed a caravan once (for a friend) and that was only a little one!
If buying a SAAB with a tow bar fitted always look under the nearside wheel arch.

Look for cracks running up the suspension mounting reinforcing (on the front side) bad cracks will come right round until the only thing holding the suspension / shock absorber is the seam to the rear door!

I have looked at several early 9000's with tow bars and most have cracks around the wheel arch area!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Last year fit a towbar to my 1993 CDE for pulling a caravan. Also 5 bolt fitting, had to remove rear bumper though so one could fit into bumper due to lack of space. The towbar, towball and all electrics (2 sockets), smart relay (so only one wire from battery for 12S socket) and wiring were from Towsure of Sheffield, total cost about £60. Towbar has lifetime guarantee and quality seems ok. Painted it with hammerite though so it would last.

The 12N socket for trailer lights I wired direct to Saab socket using spade connectors. The socket should come with a bleeper so you know the indicators work with the trailer attached. Use the Haynes wiring diagrams to pick up the correct socket numbers/wires for the spade connectors. It does not affect the pictogram.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Life does get complicated doesn't it?

The car is a 1995 2.3 and the maximum weight it will ever pull is about 550 kilos (two bikes, plus the weight of the trailer, if i can find one), which is way below the towing limit. As for the additional bracing-I don't know what to make of all that.

Had Abbott springs & Koni's fitted last year, and it was then I took the oppotunity to throughly inspect the car from underneath. No cracks, dents or rust anywhere.

I'll attempt to wire it up this weekend (cue clouds of smoke!!!).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.