Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be replacing the original suspension on my 9000 with Konis and H&R springs. I was wondering if the strut mounts needed to be replaced at the same time. I haven't read anywhere yet that anyone has replaced these. With all my VW work in the past it was always recommended that these parts get replaced as they tend to wear. Maybe this is not as much a weak spot in the suspension with Saabs as it is with VWs. Someone shed some light for me.

-Scott

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have just done this job ...
(partly as the rear ar bush has siezed on both sides so i cannot fit the rear shocks yet)
the koni's come as a strut insrt and you have to modify the strut to take it .The strut top bearing sometimes need doing but it is not common, I believe jezf has had to replace his
the jobs are quite straightforward (if no nuts are siezed !!)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Schu, if you do decide to replace the bearings, get the real thing. While fitting the Konis and Abbott springs to mine, I decided that I would replace the bearings as a precaution. Saab ones cost a fortune, so I bought some from Euro Car Parts for £26 each. Nice. However, having a problem with ride height (being slightly higher at one side than the other), I took the struts apart again to make sure everything was seated properly. I found the bearing insert inside the metal part was rattling up and down. Both sides. Not having time to get some more and replace them, I put them back.

It took me ages to get round to doing them properly. Until, in fact, I got an LSD fitted and was getting wheel-tramp at the (now higher) limit of traction. I decided to get rid of the play in the bearings. I swallowed hard, bought the Saab ones and fitted them. The wheel-tramp all but disappeared. Not only that, but the ride height is now equal on both sides.

On examination, the cheap ones now had a small amount of grease leaking from the bearing seals. The annoying thing is that there was probably nothing wrong with the original ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks BillJ and ylee. You guys really know your stuff. Second question, to install the rear shocks do you have to remove the side carpet or is everything accessed from underneath?

BillJ - Off topic, I see in your profile that you are also a software engineer. What languages do you code in and what type of stuff do you write?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Bill,

For us comparative mechanical thickos (e.g. moi
), could you clarify which bearings you are referring to. I also suffer from tramp and feel that perhaps there's wear somewhere causing it.

Ta!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Mark, we're talking about the top mountings of the struts. The ones held on by the three bolts on either wing which on your particular car, also secure your strut brace.

Schu, ylee probably does know his stuff, but for my part, it's just that I've done quite a few jobs on my 9000s and have learned the hard way...

I write largely in C/C++ and do various things from Windows applications to embedded control (and some Windows-based control applications). Also some communications and I've even had some involvement with Windows NT/2000 kernel-mode drivers.

Any jobs need doing?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
tramp...
i am still getting it As I said I did not change the bearings when I did the struts
I was figuring the tramp was a function of the spring resonant frequency not being damped properly...
maybe it is just the bearings ..although the bearings are completely silent with no play I can discern....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts