Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been in a while now and I've had just under a week and about 150 miles of varied driving.

Verdict? I can certainly tell the difference. When I first drove it, I didn't want to make an immediate assessment as the previous 3 days I'd driven my standard T16s, and my CS has a lot firmer ride.

However, what I am happy about is that I can really notice how much it has tightened things up at the front- more than I expected actually. Theres' a particularly ropey section of A road on the way to/from work that is a real test of suspension, especially driven at speed. Boy does it make a difference
. The bumps and pitching are still there, but the front end feels sooo much firmer and controlled. I'd even go so far as to say it's smoothed out the ride too.

I haven't yet had a chance to assess it's effect on high speed cornering etc. but from what I've experienced so far, I'm pretty confident there will be a marked improvement in that too.

So, at around 150 Euros it wasn't cheap by strut brace standards, but definitely a very worthwhile improvement to handling, and probably therefore reasonable value.

Original thread with contact details etc here

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might know it, Bill, it's the cut through off the A41 just outside Aylesbury that leads into Weston Turville, bypassing Bedgrove. If you don't, I'm sure /john will.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]You might know it, Bill, it's the cut through off the A41 just outside Aylesbury that leads into Weston Turville, bypassing Bedgrove. If you don't, I'm sure /john will. [/qb][/b]
Nice one - past the golf club and the airfield?

It was just two days ago that I drove from Aston Clinton (where I used to live) turned left onto the road to Weston Turville to get from A41 to A413, passed the rugby club. Not so good any more now they have a ton of chicanes through Weston Turville These are not a road safety feature, they deliberately put opposite travelling traffic into conflict with each other.

Anyway, the other road you should try, Mark, is the one from the roundabout by The Duck (on the A41 side of Bedgrove) and travel round the back to Bierton. I am sure you know this route over the humpback bridge as a shortcut to avoid the ring road.

Anyway, it looks like I will be back in Aylesbury in two weekends time - so if you and BillJ fancy a mini-SSc meet, and sum fun on the twisty bits then I can meet up with you.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]You might know it, Bill, it's the cut through off the A41 just outside Aylesbury that leads into Weston Turville, bypassing Bedgrove. If you don't, I'm sure /john will. [/qb][/b]
I know there are two roads that go that way, one at either end of Aston Clinton. I'm not really familiar with either, though.

I could become familiar if you reckon it's worth it?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb]I could become familiar if you reckon it's worth it? [/qb][/b]
Easy for you to get up there from Hemel. Just go straight up the A41 through Aston Clinton, along "the mad mile" and turn left by the Forte Post House hotel, which takes you back down to Weston Turville - but it is only a short stretch.

There are some good twisty bits and fun to be had if you do a circular route from Aylesbury - Aston Clinton - Ivinghoe - Mentmore - Aylesbury.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, that's the one /john.

Not so sure about the Duck tho' My normal route down from the A418 is via Broughton, which has a humpback bridge and comes out at the double roundabout on the north side of Bedgrove...

Mini meet sounds good, and possibly not too far away for the likes of Leon as well maybe?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb]Yup, that's the one /john.

Not so sure about the Duck tho'         My normal route down from the A418 is via Broughton, which has a humpback bridge and comes out at the double roundabout on the north side of Bedgrove...
[/qb][/b]
Yeah, Broughton, not Bierton. Sorry It is about 14 years since I lived there. I have not quite remembered the place names down here though I am beginning to forget all the names up there.

[qb]Mini meet sounds good, and possibly not too far away for the likes of Leon as well maybe?      [/qb][/b]
Cool. Leon - you up for it?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[qb]I could become familiar if you reckon it's worth it? [/qb][/b]
Nope, it's not worth it as /john will confirm, it's an absolute dog of a road- it's not even challenging to drive, just plain uncomfortable.

As for twisty bits, Bill and I found a few between Eddlesborough and Tring - that was his first LSD "trip" in the wet

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb] Whereabouts, /john (and when)? I have friends who have lived there for a few years. [/qb][/b]
I lived on the southside of Aston Clinton (just off the road to Drayton Beauchamp where Eric Carlsson used to live) from 1970 to 1976

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]As for twisty bits, Bill and I found a few between Eddlesborough and Tring       - that was his first LSD "trip" in the wet    :eek:        [/qb][/b]
In your car, with you as a very calm passenger

I'm quite familiar with that road and I must make a point of going out that way again shortly. It's a pretty interesting road to drive.

Originally posted by /john:
[qb]from 1970 to 1976[/qb][/b]
Ah, they haven't lived there that long. I take it you didn't drive Saabs around the local roads in those days...

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
[qb] QUOTE
[qb]from 1970 to 1976[/qb][/b]
Ah, they haven't lived there that long. I take it you didn't drive Saabs around the local roads in those days... [/qb][/b][/quote]No - I was just a passenger in two-strokes and V4s back then

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]Anyway, it looks like I will be back in Aylesbury in two weekends time - so if you and BillJ fancy a mini-SSc meet, and sum fun on the twisty bits then I can meet up with you.  
       [/qb][/b]
If it's the Saturday, I'll be having fun on the twisty bits (and straight bits) around Goodwood. If it's Sunday, I'm free, though (with the usual disclaimer that the Aero might not have survived
)

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I was in Aston Clinton 4 times today
And Aylesbury twice ('cos I'm digging it up )

Weather was extremely both times

Is the Duck still the Duck or a motor lodge?

And... Is the Duck Inn in Aston Clinton the old Bell Hotel, where the Martin car racers met before winning the hillclimb and adding Aston to their name?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]And... Is the Duck Inn in Aston Clinton the old Bell Hotel, where the Martin car racers met before winning the hillclimb and adding Aston to their name? [/qb][/b]
Yes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts