Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am thinking of having a stage 1 speedparts upgrade on my 9000 2.3 eco(170 bhp).
This takes the power to around 235bhp, does anyone have any idea what the acceleration and midrange figures would be like?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
A heck of a lot better! It will make a huge difference to the performance of your car. That's more BHP than a 9000 Aero (I assume at least as much torque), which was advertised as more
in high gears than a Tetorossa. The standard Aero does 0-60 in around 6.5s with devastating midrange.

I have the Stage 3 on my 9000 - this makes an already quick car (Aero) into a very quick car.

Don't worry about the figures, just flex your wallet! You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What it does to the figures on paper are not really important. Believe me it just feels sooooo much faster.

At about 2500rpm you get a wonderful surge of acceleration that puts a smile on your face every time you do it. Around town you would never know that the car has been modified & I still get roughly the same mpg.

I removed the heat plate at the same time as I fitted my speedparts kit & I also modified the air filter box. I don't think this added much to the considerable improvement provided by the Speedparts kit but it was a convenient time to do it.

I also wired mine so that the APC solenoid can be ' switched off' ,returning the car back to 170bhp output - mainly for extreme weather(snow) driving .

I couldn't recommend the kit highly enough.

Have a look at Switchable ecu upgrade

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
My standard 2.3 Carlsson (220 BHP) did under 6 seconds for the 40-60 in 4th and 50 - 70 in 5th - I'd have thought the Speedparts upgrade would be similar. Certainly there was not a lot that could live with my Carly's mid range

Saabman has had a Speedparts upgrade on his 9-5 2.0 LPT - not sure which stage upgrade, but sure he's beyond 235BHP - you about Tommy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Don't worry about the figures, just flex your wallet!           You will not be disappointed. [/qb][/b]
dont´hesitate a minute, i waited 5 years to go from stage 1 to 5 !!! and i regret every minute

safe, economic and fast driving, load your family, and go as fast u like, at the same amount of petrol!!!

But bevare, u will soon bee as us othters, u will bee as dependent as a drugaddict!!!!!

"Just flex your wallet"

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by imolaracer:
[qb]safe, economic and fast driving, load your family, and go as fast u like, at the same amount of petrol!!!

But bevare, u will soon bee as us othters, u will bee as dependent as a drugaddict!!!!!

[/qb][/b]
I don't know about you, but I go through gas quite a bit faster after all the upgrades. It has something to do with living in Germany and being able to use all the extra go power more! Although, daily driven gas mileage is the same or a bit better than the original setup, as long as the go pedal isn't pushed too far, too often.

Go for the upgrade alasdair! The numbers really don't matter as you will indeed feel it!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I had a 9000 2.3eco which always seemed a bit weak. (Specced as 170 hp it never felt like my 175 hp 2.0FPT)
I had never attempted to adjust or check the boost until I realised that it did not have an APC valve and was just a direct mechanical wastegate control.
I checked the boost and found that it was a feeble 0.3bar, my garage friend's data quoted 0.40bar +-0.04. I adjusted the wastegate actuator rod to until it gave 0.44bar (top tolerance) The performance was transformed!

Over a period of months, the performance dropped off again and when I checked the boost pressure it was back down to about 0.35bar. It seemed that the actuator spring had 'gone soft' with the heat. I decided to replace the actuator, but being hugely impressed with the 0.3 to 0.44 jump, I got enthusiastic and went for a 0.51 bar race actuator. This was way better than the 0.44 setting, that felt strong but 0.51 was real jet thrust

There was no sign of falling off the end of the ECU map, no pinking, no misbehaviour just smoother running, better fuel consumption and plenty of power. Seemed a brilliant mod for about £50.
The car was an auto and had sticky yokohama AVS tyres, the combination meant it would not spin the wheels at all in the dry, after 0.51bar - clouds of rubbersmoke 1st and 2nd OOPS!
Could be worth a try before you pay speedparts plenty of money for a whole lot of power you maybe won't need?
PS If you do try it, take the downpipe off before you start trying to work on the actuator. This may seem like a pain, but it took me half the time to drop the downpipe and then do the actuator than it did trying to wrestle through the tiny gap, with bits of rusty link rod falling in your eyes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice SJ. The deed is now done and the car goes in to be fitted on Monday.
I'll let you know how this goes on; I've also opted for an adjustable boost valve and hope to get around 240-250 bhp. Sounds like I'll be getting through my new tyres fairly quickly. Cheers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Had the speedparts stage 1 upgrade, together with uprated brake pads and performance bushes and engine mounts. It really is a different car. Stage 2 next weekend..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts