Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 9000 has started to lose steering oil and would be interested in where it might possibly be leaking from and whether a replacement rack might be needed, or just some new seals somewhere (of some kind!!)

Also, is there a readily available oil in Halfords or somewhere for the 9000 power steering (J Reg), or do I have to trail all the way to my local Sabb dealer to pick it up? Not sure if I'm lazy or too busy to waste the time.

Thanks ... as always :)

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dave,

As far as I can tell the Saab power steering fluid is fairly exclusive and you need to go to a saab garage or somewhere like eurocarparts to get more. I found eurocarparts a few pounds cheaper for the fluid.

I have had fluid leaking for a while. I asked about this at the last service, and was told it is unlikely to be the rack, but more likely a loose connector.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
If you change the seals you might as well change the rack, its a ball of a job to do and quite expensive. As you have nothing to lose why not put some Slick 50® Power Steering Formula in which stops leaks....actually I always stay clear of snake oil type products but had to use it in an emergency and it did what it said on the tin...steering worked as normal, leak disappeared.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Mark

I might try that unless someone else posts that it's a very bad (or just not that good) idea! I think I'll head over to SAAB first and refill the darn thing so I can watch if there is a leak for sure. If so, I'll then try the 'snake oil' thing before going the expense of new rack or seal. Will also check connections all tight.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts