Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which intercooler is the best upgrade for the 9000? I've seen that there are several available, but have no idea which one is the best.

Also, are the Kahn RS-R alloys of good quality? Will the 18" version have problems with housing AP-Racing brakes? We are not allowed to run spacers overhere, so any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Marky,
Can't answer the intercooler question, although, I would guess there is probably not too much difference in them.
Abbott told me that the Kahn RS-R in 17" (with micro shaving on the inside) would accomodate the AP brake kit.
Any of the aftermarket alloys in 18" will accomodate the AP brake kit.

However, I've heard the Kahn are very soft alloy and buckle and bend going over the white lines in the road

I talked the motorsport rep from Team-Dynamics the other week Team-Dynamics and he reccommended the Pro-Race 2 for their light weight and strength.
7.5x18" is 8.2kg......and they do them in the right 4 stud and correct et for a 9000....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Marky

I've a set of rsr on one aero and a set of azevs on the other the khans are definately stronger and as far as clearence is concerned the 18" khans still give problems of rumbleing over 70mph. Abbott can give you advice on what they do to help the problem or try speaking to Ranald at www.roseisle.com he has also got khans with ap brakes.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]Marky,
Any of the aftermarket alloys in 18" will accomodate the AP brake kit.[/qb][/b]
Not necessarily so. It all depends on the shape/profile of the wheel. There are two critical caliper clearance dimensions- the one to the inner circumference of the wheel, and to the inside face of the spokes. For example my 18" rims have only about 2-3mm clearance to the inner face of the spokes, whereas my 17" rims have at least 15mm. I believe there is also a Compomotive 16" race spec wheel that you can fit the APs behind.

I wouldn't have thought there is much to choose between the different aftermarket intercoolers.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]I believe there is also a Compomotive 16" race spec wheel that you can fit the APs behind.
[/qb][/b]
Funnily enough, I was talking to the Compomotive rep at that Rallycar day at Castle Coombe a few weeks ago, and IIRC it was the magnessium spec in MO style in 16" that did this, but may be wrong
It wasn't cheap though being a magnessium competition wheel.....

Perhaps I should have been a bit more accurate with the 18" and AP fits, as I was just repeating what Abbott's had told me sometime ago, but thinking about it, they probably meant all the 18" wheels they sold would accomodate the AP kit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts