Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disconnected the front ARB on the 9000 today and went for a brief drive...

<ul type="square">
[*]It took a lot of the harshness out of the ride (I'm on 18" wheels)
[*]Front wheels kept grip better over uneven surfaces
[*]A wee bit more oversteer evident, although nothing too drastic. Actually quite nice the way it seems to make the back follow round under power.
[*]No downsides to steering responsiveness.
[*]Turn in improved.
[*]Less effort required to get it round regular, slowish corners.
[*]No big difference in roll (lower stiffer/springs & Konis)
[/list]
I think I'll keep it that way for now...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but if any 9-3 owners are thinking of upgrading swaybars and/or drastically altering the handling characteristics be carefull.

I don't think it would ever be a serious problem, but the Electronic Brakeforce Distribution system might be thrown off a little if the car's weight ballance under braking is hugely altered.

Probably not unsafe or anything, but you never know. Just thought I'd mention in to be on the safe side.

I'm pretty sure ABS wouldn't be bothered by any of that. Usually the ABS isn't even triggered until the measured wheel accelleration is way outside what a car is capable of, even a heavily modified one.

Anyhoo. Wonder if someone could program the EBD system on a 9-3 or the ABS system on a 9K to make the car more stable if the front swaybar is removed. Typically hard braking is the only time you'd really see any trouble from removing that swaybar, and you might be able to program an ABS computer or EBD system to take that into account. Then you'd get smashing traction out of the corners, neutral steer through the corner, and braking stability into the corner. Which would be pretty
if you ask me!!

Can't wait for some TD04 vids from some of these cars.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a bit more "spirited" drive this morning... and have come to the conclusion that unfortunately it needs to stay for stability purposes at the limits. When pushed very hard, it starts pitching a bit suddenly for my liking- I daresay a skilled track driver would be able to control this, but I don't have enough confidence myself. Stiffer springs might help, but then that would further compromise the ride comfort.

So, I'm going to reconnect it but use standard rubber rather than poly bushes (I did have poly in the chassis mount and drop link bushes).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the GM900 had EBD. I've a feeling it did (or at least the 97 on model year with the 9-3 and 9-5 brakes). I've got the Elksport rear ARB fitted and it makes a huge difference. Fitted the MP rack clamp and brace at the front and think I'll leave the rest alone.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Mines going in to WMSS next Monday for a few bits'n'bobs. I've decided to revert back to rubber bushes on my front ARB as well. It's waaaay too harsh and the steering is too slugish atm.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer):
[qb] It's waaaay too harsh and the steering is too slugish atm. [/qb][/b]
Jeeze, Jase you wouldn't want to try mine!

If the steering is not quite right, it's not likely to be due to the ARB bushes- it's most likely to be either low tyre pressures or worn components on the steering rack.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back on topic...

Having had the rubber bushes fitted today, there's definitely a significant reduction in harshness
and when pushed to the limit, it's very controllable.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Interesting as my car is booked in to have the rear SAS ARB fitted and the front ARB bushes changed back to rubber (from poly) this week!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]keep us posted ...
I know what you mean about harshness..
I have backed off the front konis to 3/4 which has helped [/qb][/b]
Sadly I can't do this as I have to have at least 1.5 turns to properly damp my shorter, stiffer custom Abbott front springs.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]Interesting as my car is booked in to have the rear SAS ARB fitted and the front ARB bushes changed back to rubber (from poly) this week!  
 [/qb][/b]
And my SAS ARB's should arrive this week I hope
Koni's set to 0.5 all round currently and seem OK but I will try 1.0 at the front later this week.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
If the steering is not quite right, it's not likely to be due to the ARB bushes- it's most likely to be either low tyre pressures or worn components on the steering rack.  [/b]
Yep, I know the rack is in a 2 and 8, I won't know what needs doing until I look underneath it. Perhaps I should get the rack done before taking off the poly ARB bushes.

I'm currently running 33psi in the tyres, any higher and the ride is nasty, I will run 35-37 during TD04, weather dependant.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Sadly I can't do this as I have to have at least 1.5 turns to properly damp my shorter, stiffer custom Abbott front springs.  [/b]
Interesting ..
I would say my springs are in the short stiff end of the spectrum too (probably at the end )

I have never experienced what I would describe as underdamped behaviour..
maybe there is something else different ?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Not sure, Ylee, but the car feels 'loose' and under damped if I lower the shock setting. I can only assume that the springs must be stiffer than yours as I ran a half turn on the stock Abbott springs and it was fine. Maybe I might ask Abbott (or someone else) to fabricate a couple of front springs some time.

The need for different springs came about because my car sat higher at the front on sports springs, not just Abbotts. I had the same springs before the Abbott ones as MarkE and they did the same. According to Abbott, the odd 9000 does this .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts