Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my 9000 have been a bit in the wilderness, lots of driving for work, no time to clean let alone keep up with 'things that need doing'.

But this has changed. After several battles with a blown head gasket followed by a period of seized waste gate - I took the plunge and got a new turbo from Turbo Technics (with a 360 bearing upgrade), and had Abbott set it up with their 2.0 LPT upgrade plus suspension bushings and top engine mounts. My down pipe was rotten so I had one of their stainless ones for good measure.

So far it been fantastic - a new car. As this is my first outing into modified saabing I thought I'd get some opinions about the LPT upgrades.

1. what fuel grades seems to suit them? Am trying out some optimax but too early to tell.

2. Are there 'ideal' combinations of mods like changes to suspension or wheels that really compliment the upgraded LPT?

3. Any favorite tyre choices?

4. My brakes are **** they stop ok, but very heavy, and no 'bite'. Been wanting to get new discs/pads, any suggestions for a decent not-too-expensive combination?

5 Where's best to look for modified-car insurance?

6 Any good Modded Lpt stories? After all they still look quite ordinary, suprised everyone when we stormed past a chaved up calibra while fully loaded...

Thanks plenty

George
'93 9000 LPT

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi George. Much the same set up myself save for the downpipe but I have the intake pipe instead. The best part I think is cross country. There are some great routes near me and its great doing a quick blast cross country in second or third.

Chav surprising does however give me enormous satisfaction nearly as much as blowing away BMWs.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
George, you will find a big improvement in braking if you use Ferodo DS2500 pads with stock discs. They have a higher coefficient than OEM and works as welll cold or hot. It may also be worht considering using braided hoses; this, along with a fluid change/upgrade to DOT5.1 spec will remove any sponginess.

Premium octane fuel will be benefical to performance. If you don't think it's makiing a lot of diffference, try going back to regualr after a while!

Tyres- bascally you get what you pay for. Much discussed and everyone has their own personal favourite. Popular high performance choices include:

Bridgestone S03
Pirellis P Zero Nero
Dunlop SP9000
Toyo Proxes T1-R/S
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Yokohama AVS Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport

Suspension wise poly anti roll bar bushes are a cheap and effective.

I use Greenlight insurance for my modded 9k; other use Adrian Flux.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
butterfly bushes for the front wishbones are great for handling, and reduce torque steer.
I put these in my un-modified Aero, and the difference was very noticeable... the cornering was sharpened up and the tendancy for it to try and pull me into the F350's was reduced.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles:
[qb]Premium octane fuel will be benefical to performance. If you don't think it's makiing a lot of diffference, try going back to regualr after a while!
[/qb][/b]
In my experience (2.3 lpt auto with Abbott upgrade) premium fuel doesn't seem to make much difference. I suspect this is because the upgrade does not include adding an APC, so there's less things that could adapt to using premium fuel.

If the 2.0 upgrade likewise does not include an APC, you might also find premium fuel doesn't help as much.

·
Registered
161 Posts
George, I have a modified 9k. Ex 2.0 LPT anni now running speedparts Stage 3 with JR filter/ drilled airbox, JT catless downpipe and full 3" JT system. It is an entirely different car.

To gauge the difference, a friend has a 9000 Aero with JT downpipe and modded airbox/ JR. A 225 BHP car stock, so with his cat gone and the other bits id say a healthy 235 BHP. There is nothing between the two cars, and TBH my car responds quicker in the speed zones that we are likely to use. I would imagine at 110 + his would show its strength. I tuned an ex c900 Aero (LPT @ 145BHP)
this way, results were similar, smaller turbo, lower gear ratio and very rapid, instant go, with a fall top end, suits me and what i like to do!

As for fuel, like Mark says use premium RON stuff then switch back-you'll notice the difference. At the moment you wont as your still familiarizing yourself with waking the car up. Do you know what preload and boost abbott have taken your car too? I dont think they utilise the APC on there upgrade?

Suspension is where mine falls down, I have abbott springs, standard 130K anni dampers, poly wishbone bushes, poly front and rear ARB bushes, poly ARB droplink bushes and poly engine mounts. 16" super aero rims.It is not particuarly good! In comparison to the afforementioned aero which runs bilstein sprintline springs/ dampers it is like a different car. The aero looks much better too with just that further reduced ride height. In the short time ive been in it I couldnt recognise any compromise such as grounding or scraping/ bouncey/ harsh/ uncomfortable. Just seemed taught and encouraging. Similar to the present day 9-3/9-5 aero specs but a little stiffer too. I plan to fit this kit when budget allows probably accompanied with a SAS 25mm rARB. I have 17" hirsch type rims in the post with new tyres so ill have to behave for now.

As for tyres, budget really dictates. Mark summed it up, for me I use Toyo T1s. The new wheels will have Toyo T1Rs in 215/45 format at £80 inc ea.

If your budget is not so hot, I may mention the Hankook range is quite good. The Hankook Sport Ventus K104 at £45 for a 205/55 R16 is a very good tyre for the money.

Best of luck and be careful.

Ross

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
[qb]Tyres- bascally you get what you pay for. Much discussed and everyone has their own personal favourite. Popular high performance choices include:

Bridgestone S03
Pirellis P Zero Nero
Dunlop SP9000
Toyo Proxes T1-R/S
Goodyear F1 GS-D3
Yokohama AVS Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport

[/qb][/b]
Sadly the Pilot Sport range has been revamped and now only starts at 17". So if you have 16" Super Aeros the Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 is the best the French can supply.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's all round and can't believe the difference over cheaper Federal Super Steels... try to get the best your money can get.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
AFAIK the standard Abbott LPT upgrade kit does include the fitting of an APC valve.

The APC valve is normally only removed and replaced with an MBC valve when people want more power or it has failed and they want a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My car had its APC system already. Is it newer lpts that didn't have APC? I seem to remember people saying you had to add the Apc to some cars.

Thanks for everyone's comments by the way.

The only full turbo 9000s I've driven have been a very modified one from abbotts (little test drive down the road) and for a longer period an old standard 1988 FPT. The point being that I remember the old one really pushing hard if you gave it some. The 'that's quite quick..no wait this is ******** quick!' Is this a difference of turbo sizes and delivery rather than overall BHP?
My car seems much faster than before but it doesn't feel intimitading like the old 9000.
I seem to remember the boost was set at 0.8 bar at abbotts.

george

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
[qb]AFAIK the standard Abbott LPT upgrade kit does include the fitting of an APC valve.
[/qb][/b]
Mine didn't, and when I questioned this I certainly got the impression this was normal.

I think it's one reason why they can afford to do the upgrade for the £300 they've been quoting in recent Driver adverts, they're not cheap bits of kit.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
There's a £100 or so differential between just an ECU upgrade and an LPT upgrade for models with an intercooler, which I would guess is for the APC valve...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
[qb]There's a £100 or so differential between just an ECU upgrade and an LPT upgrade for models with an intercooler, which I would guess is for the APC valve... [/qb][/b]
Mines an LPT with a intercooler and no APC, and after upgrade it still doesn't have one.

I prefer my "I've had a look at my car" evidence to your "let's make assumptions based on Abbott's webpages (which are known to be wrong in other areas)"

Also, I don't think anyone pays the price on that web page nowadays. I didn't, and didn't have to try much to get a discount.

Do you know of an Abbott upgraded LPT that included the addition of an APC?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts