Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Yes I am the newbie here. But I have been a SAAB owner and fan for quite some time.

Heres the problem... I have a 1996 9000 CS. Its in great physical shape, but I am starting to have alot of electrical issues. for instance, I was driving along one night when my highbeams shut off and would not turn back on. A bit latter they were on. This continued for a month or so, till all of a suden I had no headlights at all. Now all I have are the day time lights. Also, my hazzard lights are intermitant as well.

I purchased the care and all of this was working a year ago. the only thing not working was my AC, but not only is it not blowing cold it blows HOT ALL THE TIME!!!! AHHHH

If any of you know where I can start to fix these issues I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Chris

·
Registered
179 Posts
A couple of possibilities come to mind a) poor ground connection giving rise to multiple symptoms B) seperate faults with the lights and heater.

I think B) might be more likely as they sound like problems that crop up here from time to time.

The lights fault sounds like the A+B relay - the big double relay in the relay box under the hood. If you have a friendly dealer, ask them to let you try fitting a new one. Sometimes light problems are due to the stalk switch but, if you check the other threads in here, I think you will find your symptoms are more typical of the relay problem.

Lots of threads in here on heaters and I think your fault sounds like the cabin temperature sensor, but I am less positive about this.

HTH.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
FilmFreak,

I concur with Chris's diagnosis. I had exactly the same lights problem with my 95 LPT just after I got it. You would be bowling along nicely then all the lights went out. Pretty disconcerting. I took to running with the spots on all the time 'just in case' It turned out to be the big 'double relay' in the box beside the battery. Luckily I have a 'spare' car that I am slowly reducing to its component parts to scavenge from. Anyone in Scotland is welcome to visit. It has to go soon - Orders of 'You can guess' ! Just ask at the P.O. or garage !
[email protected]

·
Registered
117 Posts
i had the same problem on my 9k aero aswell. i replaced both relays at the same time as i was unsure which one was causing the fault. in my car it was orange for one and the double was red and it solved it. dealer wanted £ 135.oo for the red
www.twostroketoturbo.co.uk got both relays for £ 23.00 inc vat and delivery,bargain. second hand but for that price who cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

dealer wanted £ 135.oo for the red  www.twostroketoturbo.co.uk got both relays for £ 23.00 inc vat and delivery,bargain.  [/b]
I tried the link to your sight but it gave me an error page. Is this the right address, I would be most interested in a bargin parts site. I live in the US so someone that ships here would be great, as long as duty fees and taxes dont cost me more than the $175 my dealer wants. I have a parts store in town that sells the large rellay for $75. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for your help... Oh where are the forums on the heater? if you could give me a start I would appreciate not having to spend 3 hours diggin for them

·
Registered
179 Posts
Film, if you search the 9000 forum for "cabin temperature sensor" you will get several hits, including this one :

http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....694.html#000002

This thread seems to give a reasonable outline of where the sensor is, what it does etc.

I am sure it will be worth your while to get the hang of searches and I doubt it will take 3 hours

If you can get the double relay for $75 I would go for that but I believe that there are used Saab part dealers in the US if you want to go that way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.