Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just had my head skimmed, and replaced gasket, due to leaking coolant (white smoke at idle), got it back yesterday, running like a dream, seems to have a bit more power as well, but now i want to replace the hydraulic tappets, is this a big job, or can it be done by the semi experienced mechanic like myself (3 years with fords), and roughly how musc are they to replace

cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no the timing chain had been done about 50,000miles before (previous owner), but i believe the chain can be done just by taking the rocker cover off, and using the split chain method, it's more work to do the sprockets, not too sure about the balance shafts though. mines is a b202 engine.

cheers

·
Registered
865 Posts
tappets cost10-11 quid each(euro car parts) but you need 16 off,you should be able to do it ,but get a haynes book first and take your time,double check everything....timing marks on sprockets,cams. etc if they are not ticking leave tappets alone.if you do it best of luck. zep.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Tappets very easy compared to head gasket. Simply release chain tensioner (this is for a non-balance shaft 2.0L turbo so check) mark position of chain to cam sprokets, remove sproket bolts and then sprokets tying the chain up. Unbolt cam caps and lift cams out. Use a wooden stick to press down on each tappet in turn and feel for the softest ones (if they cannot be pressed down then chances are they are OK), use a sucker to remove softest tappet, drop new one in, reasemble, check cam timing several times!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Worth noting that there are TWO chambers to the tappets! A high pressure sealed chamber and a low engine oil pressure fed chamber.

When pressing onto the tappet the high pressure chamber should not move. If it does compress under fairly light force, the seal is gone. This will result in a constant tapping noise when the engine is running, so is easy to detect - and similarly, the faulty tappet is easy to find.

The low pressure chamber is oil fed, by a channel in the head, and is driven by engine oil pressure. Simptoms of a worn low pressure chamber is a tapping noise for the first minute or so after a cold start, which dies off quite fast unless tappet is badly warn. This effect is more noticable in winter than summer, because engine oil is colder and oil pressure takes longer to build up in the cylinder head area. Infact, the problem is often un-noticable in summer, and only noticiable on cold winter mornings. Of course, black sludge or other gundge can block the low pressure oil channel, which will also cause noisey tappets! (Engine oil flush can clear this, but can cause lots of other problems by loosening gunge which can block other oil channels!)

When tappets are removed from head, they should always be stored in oil, to protect them - especially if removed for any length of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts