Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 3 Litre V6 9000 4 door Griffin. Anyone have a technical manual available for the engine? Any Info on this particular model as it seems to be quite scarce. Many Thanks

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Hi, Jim. Welcome to SaabScene.

Unfortunately, you are correct that technical info is scarce for the V6. The only two sources I know of are the Saab factory manual (a bit expensive, but worth it) and AllData, which is a US-based on-line subscription, mostly cribbed, it seems, from the factory manuals. I find the AllData stuff pretty good. It only covers US models, but I believe the V6 engine was exactly the same for the US. You could buy a Haynes manual for a UK perspective on the rest of the car.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Jim,
I have(well sort of...long story) a MY95 9000 CSE V6, is there something in particular you are enquiring about..???
From what I've been told the V6 is not ideal for DIY unless your're a competent mechanic.
The timing belt has to be changed every 30,000 miles and is a pig of a job by all accounts.

Your car will be a MY95 model, as mine is, although it may well have been made in late '94 (MY runs from Sept-Aug..ish)....

Welcome to the board, not many of us V6 drivers here.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 9000 Griffin (CDE) V6 is a seductive yet expensive and temperamental mistress. She'll delight but without warning will look lovingly into your eyes and vomit all over you. My Griff has 120k on it and is already onto its second transmission courtesy of a corroded auto transmission cooler (despite religious dealer servicing). Others have rightly noted that this engine is relatively high tech with a very low threshold for the unassuming DIY. I found garden variety mechanics will put too much oil in her or jack her by the rear axle . In addition the car has an appetitite for batteries and is rather nose-heavy. Which for me once resulted in major damage in a recent walking pace nose-tail accident because the car dipped way too low under brakes and hit the front Merc bumber with lights / grill / bonnet rather than bumper to bumber. On the up side the car can make you feel special in ways my 9-5SE fails to match. In terms of tech manuals I have searched high and low and other than serving out serious cash for SAAB tech manuals, the best advice as offered by others is to get a 9000 4cyl manual for useful reference for most of the car. I have found AllDataDIY good in some respects but annoyingly scanty in detail and overall rather useless if you're looking for meaningful instructions. I look for part numbers using AllDataDIY and order some parts from www.saabsite.com On one occassion my local authorised SAAB dealer tried to fleece me $900 AUD (around $530 US) for a set of six ignition leads. Saabsite sell them for $72 US and CyberTroll can do better still (incidently the BOUGICORD www.bougicord.com leads appear to make a much better fit than the factory leads). Overall there are several items that you can instruct your average mechanic to attend to (eg. brakes, almost identical to those used in some Fords) but anything to do with engine, leave to the Saab mechanics (getting this wrong eg. not changing old tensioners is a terrifyingly expensive mistake to make). I give my Griffin all the attention she demands, so for the momment she's good to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts