Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Im the proud owner of a Australian Delivered 9000.
I alas have had my 1st problem. The car
is a 1997 with only 70,000Kms on the clock.

It started fine this morning but I was going out
for lunch and turned the ignition and nothing
except the dash lights/warning lights went dim.

I noticed the fuel pump is not priming. I pulled
the fuse panel apart and checked the fuses, all
good. I checked the relays behind the fuse panel
for the Fuel Pump. It was chattering/sometimes not even clicking over. I swapped over a like relay and same problem. So the relay is OK.

Is the fuel pump a common part to break down at
this mileage? and how do I find and test this fuel pump?

Regards,

Pete

·
Registered
2 Posts
I RECENTLY WENT THROUGH FUEL PUMP BLUES AND SOLVED MY PROBLEM. I HAVE A 88 9000TURBO. I OPENED THE BACK HATCH, REMOVED THE TIRE COVER WOOD FRAME BY THE 2 SCREWS ON THE RUNNER AFTER THE TIRE. AFTER REMOVING IT, I FOUND THIS SILVER OVAL COVER, ABOUT 8 INCHES IN DIAMER,WITH 2 HEX FLAT TWIST SCREWS THAT CAME OFF EASY. IT REVEALED A FUEL SENDER UNIT, AND A HUGE RUBBER MONSTROSITY, WHICH WAS THE FUEL PUMP RESEVOIR.

THERE WAS A 6" SCREW CLAMP THAT HELD THE RUBBER IN PLACE, I REMOVED THAT. THE BOOT WAS LOOSEND, I HAD TO REMOVE THE REAR SEAT BRACKET ALSO. I PULLED THE BOOT OUT, REVERSED IT, PULLED THE ENTIRE ASSEMPLY OUT. I SUPPPOSE THE IS THE FUEL PUMP RESEVOIR AND HOUSING.

I COUNTAINED 2 PUMPS, ONE THAT IS A BOSCH PUMP. THAT COST 175 DOLLARS US AND A SMALLER ONE, BOTH HAD SCREENS THAT WERE USED TO PROTECT YOUR SYSTEM.

I REPLACED THE SMALLER ONE, AND MY CAR WORKS FINE NOW.

SOME HINTS, DETACH THE BATTERY BECAUSE THIS IS AN EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS PROCEDURE, NO SMOKING, NO LITES THAT ARE BREAKABLE, ADEQUATELY VENTELLATE THE AREA THAT YOU ARE WOKING WITH, NO FERROUS TOOLS TO CREATE A SPARK.

I REMOVED THE MAIN PUMP, NEED A 19mm SOCKET AND A 17 OPEN END WRENCH TO DISCONNECT THE FUEL HOUSING.
'
IT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE TO REPLACE THJE 2 COPPER/RUBBER FUEL LINE GASKETS.

THE FUEL LINE IS EXTREMELY HARD AND I HAVE TO CUT IT BACK ABOUT 3 INCHES TO GET IT BACK ON THE NOZEL, IT IS A HIGH PRESSURE LINE ALSO.

I DRY TESTED THE MAIN PUMP, IT WORKED FINE

REMEMBER, YOU NEED TO DRY ALL CONNECTIONS, YOU WILL GET ALOT OF GASOLINE ON YOU, SO KEEP WELL VENTILLATED AND DRY THE GAS

KEEP A FIRE EXTINGUISHER RIGHT NEXT TO YOU OF HAVE SOME ONE WITH YOU, THAT IS THE BEST

MY MAIN PUMP RAN OKAY, I WAS FORTUNATE.

ALOHA FROM HAWAII

CURTIS

·
Registered
305 Posts
Since the issue is actually electrical, why do you think the fuel pumped failed?

I would check the battery and alternator first and foremost. Most decent auto parts stores can test both for you hooking up to a testing unit, and they usually do this for free.

For Clarification: Fuel pumps seldom fail especially at 77,000 km. If ever concerned that your pump is not working, remove and replace the check valve first. It is an inexpensive part and control the flow and presuure thru the pump.

I can say with great certainity that your problems are not fuel pump related, but battery/alternator

wherewolfe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.