Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long think and about cash flow, I have decided against upgrading my ecu for a Maptun one etc.

I have got the idea of a re-programmed ecu. By taking an ECU from a FPT of the same engine and same year, is it possible for my engine data to be transferred to the FPT ECU, thus turning my car into a 2.0fpt instead of a 2.0lpt?
How would I go about this and who would be able to do the work?
By the way, it is a 96 2.0lpt with intercooler.

Cheers guys!

Scotty

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Scotty,

Before you do this, you need to know if your car has VSS (vehicle secuity system) (alarm or imobiliser) as this is designed to stop people swapping ecus around to steal cars....

If you don't have VSS, You may be able to get a ECU for a fair price (£200-£300 or so for a warrented one), or cheaper if lucky off ebay or similar....

Andrew

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Someone with more knowledge will confirm I'm sure, but I've a feeling FPT(2.3l engine) and 2.0L ECU data isn't compatable. I'm sure someone has asked this before, may be worth doing a search.
I'm afraid you'll find that the upgraded ECU's from Speedparts/Maptun etc are in reality by far the cheapest solutions to more

·
Registered
382 Posts
scotty. i have a 97 lpt stage3 maptun. they will completly remap your ecu, have you checked their website? send your money asap. you will love it.
pm me if you want my phone no for more info.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by peter messenger:
[qb]scotty. i have a 97 lpt stage3 maptun. they will completly remap your ecu, have you checked their website? send your money asap. you will love it.
pm me if you want my phone no for more info. [/qb][/b]
Thanks for the offer but what I'm looking to do is if I can get an ECU from a 2.0fpt, is to have it re-programmed for my 2.0lpt. All I want to do is go from a 2.0lpt with 150bhp to a 2.0fpt with 175bhp. I simply cannot afford a Maptun upgrade

·
Registered
382 Posts
sorry scotty, i did not read your post properly.
i dont know if what you are asking is possible, but maptun will, i am sure if you spoke to fredrik and explained your situation he would help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb]Scotty,

Before you do this, you need to know if your car has VSS (vehicle secuity system) (alarm or imobiliser) as this is designed to stop people swapping ecus around to steal cars....

If you don't have VSS, You may be able to get a ECU for a fair price (£200-£300 or so for a warrented one), or cheaper if lucky off ebay or similar....

Andrew [/qb][/b]
It hasn't. I had a cat 2 system fitted when I bought the car (sure cat 2 is alarm/immobilser!!)

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Could be difficult this one. The last 2.0FPTs sold in the UK were pre-Trionic, so the ECUs are not compatible. However, there were some 2.0FPTs sold in Europe. I haven't been able to check the wiring, but the relevant part nos are as follows:

46 60 833 B204E 2.0LPT no VSS
46 60 841 B204E 2.0LPT VSS
43 01 941 B204L 2.0FPT no VSS
43 61 260 B204L 2.0FPT VSS

·
Registered
247 Posts
There is always a cheap way to upgrade avoiding the thousands some people have needlessly spent on Abbott's stuff Brad uses a system that keeps the stock ECU and uses a fifth injector above stock boost level to fill in the fuel gap. Take a look here: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/performance/....html?bID=76241

Some of the "pursists" here will no doubt have a problem with it. However, I would suggest that it is cheap hp.

I would thoroughly recommend the JT 3" d/p though.

Alanb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts