Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive an N REG 9000 CSE which has a standard saab radio/cassette player which has decided to stop working. When the car and radio are taken to a radio shop for a replacement- e.g. sony CD player or the like, this is apparently impossible as the saab amplifier will only work with a saab radio, but i can't believe this. Has anyone else had the same problem? what can i do? i would really like to put a CD player in. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If you look at the back of the Saab radio you will notice that one of the ISO plugs is the "normal" length and one has extra pins.

Follow the one with extra pins back down through the harness and you should find that a few wires branch off. Follow the main cable run and you will find a standard ISO plug and socket - this is the feed and return from the Saab amp under the seat. Unplug this and use the now standard plug in the back of the new non Saab head unit.

Steve

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there a reason why you want to retain the saab amp? I had the same problem recently when the header unit died on my N reg car. I bought a sony cd player hoping to use the saab amp but ended up using the amp built into the sony unit and the sound quality is better than the original.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the saab amp is only rated at a measly 4x25 watts so can be easily outperformed by some of the higher output head units like the sony
I removed the complete saab unit inc the amp (the wiring between the head unit and amp is fairly easily removed) and replaced it with a sony unit
the remote commander fits on the steering wheel boss really nicely..
I have recently upgraded to another sony with an mp3 player ...top unit
The saab unit ,altho good in its time, has been overtaken by new technology imho

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just on this subject...when I changed batteries the radio went dead. When I contacted the local dealer they said they would have to remove th unit, get the serial number and contact Sweden for a PIN reset...which would cost around $150.

On second opionion I was told that a small, minute button on the facia could be inserted with a pencil and clicked.

Bingo...sounds again with 10 seconds work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.