Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I remove the crankshaft pulley? There is no aperture in auto tranny to stick screwdriver to lock the flywheel!
Also, Do I need to remove the alternator and power steering pump to remove head & timing chain cover?
ANY TIPS ON ACCESS TO REMOVE THE 3 NO. LOWER INLET MANIFOLD BOLTS!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Call me cruel if you like but I've been waiting for this.... Crankshaft pulley bolt - odds on you'll need an air gun with a 30mm (if I remember properly) impact socket - it's just possible you can do it with a breaker bar and an extension tube if someone sits in the car with their foot firmly on the brake (and with the car in a forward gear) but I'd definitely still use an impact socket and definitely wear heavy gloves. Oh and on an engine with any mileage the Haynes manual sugestions will do more damage than you want to deal with.

Inlet manifold bolts - my biggest Saab nightmare - the best way (and it's still not great) is to get yourself a set of 'wobble' bat extensions for your socket set so you can get to the bolts from behing the manifold and at an angle, shouldn't be too expensive, and if you haven't already got some and are feeling flush a set of Halfords ratchet spanners (I wouldn't be without a set myself now) which include an adaptor which turns one of them into a very slimline socket ratchet. Still a b'stard of a job tho...........

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry, forgot - no, leave the alternator, steering pump and the oil pump come to that well alone (I take it you've found the 'hidden' timing cover bolt which is at the bottom of the engine right next to the sump on the radiator side of the engine btw?)

My spelling is awful tonight as well, wobble bat should obviously read 'wobble bar' and 'behing' should be 'behind'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.