Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm glad I found this forum and hope somebody can help me. My car has developed an irregular problem. Sometimes it starts on 1 cylinder, won't respond to the throttle at all and I have to switch off and wait a while before it starts properly on all cylinders. Twice the car has gone on to 1 or 2 cylinders when driving and I've had to stop and switch off the ignition and wait awhile. I suspect the fly by wire but this is a complete guess. I'm sure it's electrical. Is there a known fault that could be the cause of this? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi Boosted LS1 and welcome to Saabscene

A faulty DI cartridge would be a good place ot start. The "test" is to substitute a known good one. Does the problem occur more under acceleration?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mark, thanks for the reply. I changed the red coil pack (DI cartridge) last year when the car refused to start for another used unit and things were fine. It was starting to smell of burning bacolite. This problem now is a starting problem when cranking etc. It's never failed to start when cold. Just sometimes starts on 1 or 2 cylinders and stays running like that. I have to switch it off and on a few times to get it to start on 4 cylinders. I had to wait 20 minutes last week . Today the car stopped dead when driving. Does it still sound like the DI? It does this every few weeks and seems to be random.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 2.3 cs turbo on a J plate. It misbehaved tonight so I made a record. It cranked and fired straight away, revved immediatly up to 1k then dropped instantly to about 600 rpm and stayed there. It won't respond to gentle throttle and the pedal was normal. I fired it up a few times and it did this each time. I noticed the traction control warning light was illuminated. After a while I cranked it and it spun into life just like normal. This is weird?

It does have tcs and abs.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Being TCS'd, the rinning on 1/2 cylinders may not really be that.

When the car falls into full limp home mode, you lose the idle control and often the car will either just stall, or barely run at aboiut 4-500rpm (as if it's only on 1 or 2 cylinders).

one of the ways to check this is to start the car with the bonnet up and check that the limp home cable gets sucked into the throttle body on startup.

if it does not then their could be a problem with the checl valve on the bulkhead (the one with the 2" stubby pipem going no where.

To check this out you can bypass the valve and just use the 1 way vavle (either black/white or red/white) between the TCS body and the inlet manifold (maintaining the correct direction.

Andrew

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andrew, I took a closer look at things. There is a greased cable going into the throttle housing which didn't move when I started the car. I have also located the red/white check valve on the bulkhead. Can I mail you for some more information re: the large stubby valve and how to reconfigure this lay out or test the valve. Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Andrew. A quick update all. The car seems to be running on the throttle cable. It won't start at all on fly by wire and is virtually undrivable having such a heavy throttle. I've cleaned a few connections and looked at the selonoid valve and air inline valve on the bulkhead, also cleaned inside the throttle housing but to no avail. I'm going to get the electronics scanned in case it's locked into some sort of default or shut down mode. I need to start accumulating some spares so that in future I can swop components:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm making progress with this intermittant fault. A new saab technician at Ilkeston, Notts has a code checker and he cleared the error codes. Car was fine for a while. The tec 2 said the fault was in the low pressure/vac circuit. There aren't many components there. Since then, twice the car has failed to start on the electronic throttle so I disconnected the vac pipe and blew down it. Car started after that. Has anybody got a throttle body for sale? I may as well grab a few bits for substitution testing. It may just be the one way valve or a faulty selonoid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.