Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1993 9000 CDE 2.3 Turbo. It was serviced about 4 months ago, and the guy told me at the time the Turbo was incredibly worn. For the last two weeks, the car has been sluggish in 1st/2nd - and then suddenly jolted forward as the revs got up (coupled with a shrill whistling sound). Yesterday I had to give it a good poke on a round about, there was a dull thud, and now when the car is idling, it is reving on it's own at 3000-4000 RPM, and you have to stamp on the brake in traffic to stop yourself flying into the car in front! Would anyone be able to identify with the problem I have , and does this look like the Turbo has indeed given up the ghost ? Cheers Kelly.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
does not sound like a blown turbo..
Mine siezed and the engine continued to run but with no boost(really sluggish )
sounds like a fuel injection related fault
something causing the engine to give too much fuel...air mass meter snafu'd ? ..just a guess

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Agreed that it doesn't sound like the Turbo at all.

Start by checking out the throttle linkage (make sure throttle returns to upper position when foot off - and engine off), throttle return spring is functional, and then throttle position switch needs to be checked with an ohmeter to ensure it detects the closed position, etc.

Further to the above, the dull thud implies that you may see something 'hanging off', so take a close look at all air/throttle related mechanics.

Turbo's fail by burning oil when seals go (usually due to use of insufficient grade of engine oil), or sooting up (which can often be solved by a £50 strip down and clean!).
Hope this helps for starters!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
An important point .. does the car have TCS installed? As this will negate some of what Pauls said relating to the throttle spring etc.

It's true that turbos will whistle if the bearings are worn or if theres an air leak, I'd imagine that the two noises are distinctively different.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Check that the vacuum hose going into the inlet manifold hasn't blown out. The rubber bushes wear causing weakness and allowing pipes to blow out when heavy boost being used. If so, just push it back in and get new rubber bushes (about £1.50 from Saab dealer).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts