Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some advice?
I have a 1993 9000 CDE and recently smashed the driver’s side wing mirror whilst reversing out of a very tight parking bay (smashed the whole unit against a concrete pillar!).

I have seen complete units for sale on EBay and would like to know how easy it is to replace my self, or would you recommend I take it to a garage to fit?
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Jeremy Angus

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Is it just the glass or including the plastic shroud?

It's pretty easy to change the glass. Look underneath, there's a hole into which you use a screwdriver to rotate the locking mechanism that holds the glass (bit like the dexterity required to adjust the handbrake through the hole in the brake disc).

Once you've done that, you can get access to the rest, including the springs that hold the mirror shroud to the rest of the car.

David.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi lybed, i had to replace the drivers mirror on a 94 9000cse. If i remember rightly it took me about 1 1/2 hours inc teabreaks. There's no rocket science involved, but i did have a Haynes manual to hand to help out. Just make sure all the motors work in the replacement from e:bay. I payed £109 for my mirror from 2stroketurbo, but it was in A1 condition.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Haynes instructions-
1. disconnect negative battery cable
2. remove door interior trim panel
3.release the mirror cable bundle from the clip on the door panel, then unplug from the wiring harness at the connectors (2)one for heater element, 1 for motorised adjustment.
4.tilt mirror glass upwards, put screwdriver in bottom of mirror and turn the plastic wheel 2 clicks to remove mirror glass.
5.unclip plastic trim panel from inside the door, to expose the mirror mounting screws.
6. slacken and remove the 3 mounting screws. recovering the metal plate from the lower mountings.
7. lift the mirror assembly away from the door, guiding out the wire and connector. recover the rubber gaiter from the mirror and inspect it for wear, renew if necessary.
8.re-fitting is the exact opposite of the removal procedure, but i found putting some washing up liquid on the rubber gaiter helped it slip back into place a lot easier. Job done.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had to do my drivers side last weekend, I was still left with the working bits of the motor drive and it turned left and right + the up and down bit was working, , although the housing was cracked it was complete, I got a replacement non heated glass from twostroketoturbo for 25 quid, and spent 45 mins with a couple of screw drivers, once I got it all in place you cannot see that the housing is cracked and holds together well, had to do the rearview mirror also which is a different story.....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have to do my n/s external mirror but put it off this w/e as it was raining. Did the interior though. Mine had lost the dipping switch. Got one from ebay and thought it looked simple. It was unitl I tried to get the connector on the end of the lead out. The main unit seems to have invisible fixings to the roof. Ended up detaching the light section from the existing (1 torx screw under 'glass'), removing the laight from the new one and just switching the mirror unit with 3 torx bolts in the roof area. Much simpler .

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had to replace the whole unit, ball joint broke off atached to the mirror
, I cut the wires and used two small block connectors to connect the new one as the connection cannot be reached without removing the headlining IMHO

Col

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.