Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on behalf of Andy Zanetti:

Why do i have two inches of water living in the passenger footwell?? Leaky windscreen? Leaky sunroof maybe? It doesn"t end there. . .the hatchback seems to be in on it too! This car could make a school of makeral feel homely. Can anyone help? Fan only works on pos. 4 as from today. .Bah ! ! - Andy

·
Registered
130 Posts
John, Andy,

Not usre about the leak in the footwell but I can shed some light on the leaky hatch.
I had 91 9000 with that problem common I'm told.
Check the side strips which hold your window on sometimes water gets in between then and the glass (cosmetic really). I took mine off and totally filled the area with clear silicone sealant screwed them back on and wiped off the excess.

Also check the plastic 'gaters' which house your electrics for the heated glass (top at the sides of the hinges)if they are split £7 each from SAAB dealer!(mine were)they let water in through the C piller (if you look inside they have a little hatch either side)

After all that I still had a leak in to the boot.
So check that your electric ariel has an out flow pipe. when you retract it water that has collected should travel doen the sections through the pipe and out of the car. Mine had this pipe missing and made my own from a piece if hose pipe. never leaked again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

I have just fixed am aerial problem my 1992 9000 and did not note where that drain pipe went. I felt around inside the panel but could not find a hole to put the pipe through. Does it really just let the water drain into the side panel and find its own way out?

Any help would be welcome

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ricky,

The ariel usually has a little plastic drainage 'neck' at the base of the whole electric motor housing.

The way I found the drainage hole is by working backwards.
I estimated the length of pipe I would need and added a bit extra.

Under the car after the rear wheelarch on the body work there should be a rubber gromet or hole already there. I pushed the pipe up through it.

Inside the boot it will come up between the outer and inner skins of the rear wing. The mounted the hose pipe onto the aerial securely. Then gently fed the pipe back down the external hole until the motor for the aerial was sited properly, put it all back together internally.

Next step back under the car and cut off any excess pipe.

Standard Hose pipe is good enough for the job as it has to be squeezed through the bodywork hole so when finished sits firmly with out any extra mounts.

I personally don't know whether as standard this pipe is there or as you suggest the water finds its own way out, all I can say is I never had a leak in the boot again

·
Registered
46 Posts
Andy
re: water in the footwell. I had a 89F Carlsson (until a garage door salesman drove into the back of me at 80mph). I had a leak following a windscreen replacement. The aperture (hole for the windscreen) of the older 9000s is prone to corrosion. The windscreen companies will tell you there is a problem and then apply the mastic rather than carry out any rust prevention!! So when it leaks again in 6 months you replace it on their warranty. Madness. The alternative is to smash the winsdcreen. Have your body shop make good the corrosion and then have a new windscreen fitted. Mine leaked right at the top in the centre and in heavy rain filled up the recess under the front of the handbrake (2-3 inches) having run down behind the head lining and interior light panel etc. Solution, gently prise the windcreen surround back and fill with propritary sealant so that it adheres the windcreen seal to the metal bodywork rather than the rusty bits. HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.