Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me where were speakers in US and Canadien models. Brochures claim that there were 8 or 10 speakers. We have finnish model that includes only 4 speakers. I would be very thankful of any information.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
UK models had 8 speakers, two in each corner.
100mm + tweeter in the front, and 165mm + tweeter in the rear. Not sure where the other two would go, most likely a pair of 'subs' in the boot area.
HTH
Nick.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I know the Saab audio systems without the CD or amplifier that went either in the dash or if it was after '91 under the drivers seat on 9k's had like cdcarlsson says 4 main speakers and then a tweeter off each one which the manufacturer wanting to make its cars sound better call an 8 speaker system. But the ones with the Cd and Amp as mentioned above had an additional sub speaker (or possibly two hence the 10 speaker business) in the boot on hatches usually built into the side of the boot but decreasing your load capacity but they do sound great...or with the CD's they are on the parcel shelf somewhere but god knows where. My missus's CD Griffin definately has too much bass power not to have some kind of sub speaker but where it is I couldn't tell ya! Piece of advice.....if you've got a Saab 9k audio system with amp do not break the amp! Mine went bang on an old '90 9K I had and was quoted £650 from Saab, buit couldn't source one second hand without buying the complete dash set up (i.e. the cd and tape deck) which I already had and were fine! ended up binning it and buying a Pioneer changer whichwas nice but not as nice as the Saab...which everyone who has ever heard one will tell you for the age is probably one of if not the best manufacturers audio system.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Do you really think that the new system sounds that much better than the old Saab one? I changed mine for a full Pioneer jobby with expensive american 4" speakers in the front and 6x9's in the rear and difference was negligable just louder really considering the money spent, but I couldn't justify buying the amp for over £500!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
absolutely..
I have a 2x150 +1x300w amplifier
feeding the front and the sub...
the headunit 2x40 feeds the origonal rear speakers..the frontsare high power jbl's cannot remember the model no but theyre really sweet.The reason for having high power is not simply for loudness but for headroom the more power you have the less stress there is on the system and you can really hear this I am cosidering putting a 2x100 watt amp to drive the rear speakers as they struggle to keep up with the rest ..
I total thecomplete system could be purchased for about £700 (the 'tuning'comics are a good source of discount

·
Registered
945 Posts
Theres a magazine called car hi-fi and in there you'll get some of best deals available for in car kit. I saved over £200 on what I would have paid at Halfords and there Pioneer model was an old version!!! I must admit I looked at putting real power in mine but everytime I looked it semed to be geared towards the boom boom hardcore cap wearing backwards brigade. I don't think my Bonnie Tyler CD would sound too good in one of those systems!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The real problem with all this is that the average modern speaker is actually very badly made and is so damned insensitive that you have to push rather a lot into them to get anything out of them..which is why so many of them now have a minimum power rating.

Also lets not get mislead by the manufacturers of amps who often actually state Peak Music Power as their power output which usually means that their real output is probably only approaching 40% of the peak.

Having experienced a system using hand built speakers and a 40 Watt per channel Class A amplifier I can tell you that you do not need a lot of power to actually feel the air in your lungs being pressurised!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts